This Lincoln Got Totally Screwed...Literally! Amazing Error!!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JCro57, Apr 18, 2018.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Happens all the time......private reasons......carry on fellows

Nathan401 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

I agree with you, but there is still the possibility. I also believe it had help

4. JCro57

Well, from 1965-1967, struck coins had no mintmarks, and many of them were minted at the San Francisco Mint. One reason was that the director of the Mint at the time was unfairly blaming coin collectors for hoarding certain mintmarks with lower mintages. Plus you had a coin shortage as people started hoarding silver dimes, quarters, and half dollars right before and after the changeover in 1965 as the value of silver for each was worth more than their minted value. (Mintmarks not only returned in 1968, but the mintmarks were moved from the reverse of coins to the obverse.) Coins from 1965-1967 were also not released as proofs or in Mint sets in the regular sealed packaging, but the Mint started to release "Special Mint Sets" (or SMS) for those years in hard plastic packaging. These coins also had a different finish; shinier than business strikes but yet not proof and struck with more die pressure. This is why these coins typically look better than average compared to other years when found in pocket change or couch cushions of fat people everywhere.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  5. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

How does the dealer (weinberg?) Know that it was minted in S.F. ????? All i see is a sticker on the bottom of the slab. PCGS notated the coin as 1967 only

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. JCro57

See my post above. Plus he also found it with other proof errors

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I saw on a thread some months back that the Chinese copy houses are actually producing copies of the dime on a 16 penny nail thing.

paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted