This Lincoln Got Totally Screwed...Literally! Amazing Error!!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JCro57, Apr 18, 2018.

1. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

This one in particular fascinates me as to how the nail could be straight as it is considering the size of a dime and the coining chamber. And even in the case of a spring getting in there, the damage it caused "should" have led to an investigation of how this happened. The damage would have shown on the dies. The press operator should have been questioned and searched in any of these cases asap.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Unless, of course, he cut the supervisor(s) in on the deal.

*coins, dwhiz and tommyc03 like this.
  4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I suspect chicanery in the nail dime.
    How could it reach circulation?
    And, how could it not be discovered and destroyed?
    Someone must have smuggled it out.

tommyc03 and JCro57 like this.
  5. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

Hey guys thanks for posting those pics I wouldn't have believed it if I had saw one no way that could be a mint error, wow learn something new everyday on here.
    Dave

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

One made of a magnetic iron alloy, rather than say brass, or a nonmagnetic stainless steel alloy.

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Rogue mint employee. There would have to be no collar in order for these errors to happen. Must have been the same guy who made the 1970 proof quarters struck on a 1942 Canadian quarter and a 1900 Barber quarter.

8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I wonder if such radical items could be confiscated if they wanted to do so?

9. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

This post really Nails the US Mint quality control problem on the head !!

dwhiz and tommyc03 like this.
  10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

They seem to give the impression it was attracted onto the bronze coin ( never seen a magnetic one ) during the strike. Yeah ...right.....

tommyc03 likes this.
  11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

20180814_141921.jpg 20180814_141934-1.jpg 20180814_141846-1.jpg I saw and held 2 of them

Michael K, tommyc03, dwhiz and 3 others like this.
  12. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

paddyman98 likes this.
  13. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Yeah, they're not really errors when they are actually intended to be that way.

One easy way to get them out of the mint, I would think, is the mail room. Most of these with dates seem to be 40-50 yrs old, and while I don't know what the security measures were back then, I'm sure it was much more lax.

I'm reminded of a discussion I had with an neighbor 50-something years ago. His employer (a tech mfg. firm) was on a rampage because of the inventory losses & set up extreme measures to search everyone leaving the facilities. So, my neighbor bet the managers he could remove an entire unit & they would not know. Over about a 2 week period, he shipped the parts individually out of the mail room, assembled it at home & brought the unit back to prove it. He received an award for this revelation & needless to say, they upgraded the mailroom procedures & the thefts stopped!

14. Aunduril

Aunduril Well-Known Member

wow some very different errors!

15. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

paddyman98 and JCro57 like this.
  16. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

But it is also not inconceivable that a screw did in fact wind up there without the help of a scheming mint employee.

SlipperySocks likes this.
  17. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

It does appear to be a machine screw, so yes.... I suppose it is possible, but likely? Probably not, at least in my most humble opinion anyway.

JCro57 likes this.
  18. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Is that broadstruck besides the screw?
    Is this the only 1967 that is designated from San Francisco without a mint mark?

19. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Um, true, but what about the numerous other objects, for example, the dime on the framing nail. No I'm inclined to believe there is/was some chicanery going on. I've seen the Denver Mint in action & just find it hard to believe all these things could happen by pure luck. Just sayin'.

20. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I suck......kill me.......

21. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Seems like an extreme course of action, Ken, no?

Draft saved Draft deleted