This isn't an impaired proof, is it? (Newfoundland 1940 10 Cents)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by stldanceartist, May 21, 2022.

1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Picked this coin up recently, and I'm very curious to hear what others think of it. I'm kind of on the fence on whether to look at this coin as an impaired proof (the fields, while obviously scratched/worn in places, are definitely reflective or prooflike, and the portrait has a cameo appearance) or just a PL business strike in XF/AU condition.

Canada (Newfoundland) 1940 10 Cents.jpg
    It has a lot more detail than I'm used to (usually these are worn down to AG-VG before I see them) especially in the crown, and the surfaces are definitely mirror like. I didn't even think there were proofs for this date until I checked into it, apparently there were.

Here are some photos showing the fields a bit better:

IMG_3211.jpg IMG_3213.jpg
    IMG_3215.jpg

The rims aren't flat on both sides, and it doesn't look like it's been polished (there is still luster showing, not that dull, lifeless look of a polished coin.)

Tried searching for images online of a proof example but couldn't find one to compare.

Thoughts?

What do you think?

Paddy54 and expat like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

I think you need an experienced Canada collector. Numista states there is a forgotten MM, but I think it only applies to the 1940 and 1942, 1Cent pieces.
    Business and Proof with no MM should mean they were struck in London. Also, there are 4, I think, varieties of DDR to do with the date.
    Possibly @Bill in Burl can help or @Paddy54
    Either way it is a nice looking example

4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

At a 100,000 mintage for ms coins I cant find a proof mintages, the look of the coin and the missing c mm....I say it was a proof strike...no expert but my vote would be an impaired proof or specimen strike.
    Ill wait to see the others say...nice pick up. I sold my 1943 NF dime last year.

5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Ok the RCM issued of 1941-1947 have a C mm. The Royal mint issued the 1938 and the RCM 1940 have no mint marks. 38-44 .925 silver .075 copper 2.33g 18.03 mm

6. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I'm no expert but I will say that I've found a lot of these in really nice shape and I don't think yours looks different. I think it's just in good condition.

7. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

4 looks cleaned to me

8. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

Struck with fresh dies, but not a specimen strike.

Draft saved Draft deleted