This is why some grading companies need to stick to what they know

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Numismat, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Saw this on eBay earlier this evening: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Russia-Rubl...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Coin is authenticated by CCCS (Canadian Coin Certification Service). While it is considered a reputable company for authenticating and grading Canadian coins, they obviously need to stay away from doing so for other countries coins.

The coin in question is a pretty poorly made Eastern European fake. Comparison below with known example of the same fake that was being sold from Russia as a replica.

Most readily obvious diagnostics are the date shifted too far left, the break in the leaf and the A in MOHETA.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Insider likes this.
  4. Numismat

I've read about instances of their certified coins not showing up in their own database. I think it may be due to coins that were certified before the verification system was a thing.

5. Rick Stachowski

Then it's as easy as a phone call, to see if they really slab it

Since it was taken out of the soft slab, I would stay away from buying it anyways, or even looking ....

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  6. Numismat

It's still in the soft slab in the listing. The comparison pic is a different example of the same generation of copies.

7. Rick Stachowski

Any ideals on how that soft slab is sealed ?

8. Numismat

Looks like heat sealing. I have a couple from the same company. Basically a plastic flip, heat sealed, with the coin in a second, smaller plastic casing sealed inside.

Draft saved Draft deleted