this is outrageous-2012-s american silver eagle set

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by MAKECENTS, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Stop whining and act like a man. You win some, you lose some. That is the way it goes---cancel your order and stop complaining about this forum and your decision to buy it. Nobody told you to order the coin in the first place.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bigness1970

bigness1970 New Member

the article states that they are shipping out the pre-orders, not selling anymore. if you go to the mints website, they are not available and are not on the schedule what so ever.

4. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Last time I heard, collecting anything was supposed to be an enjoyment. Sure, it would be nice to make money too but there are no guarantees.

5. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

You got that right! Gawd, I don't understand why collectors are getting so angry about the currency set. There will still be money to be made off this set. Even if it's only $50 profit, I'll take it and be happy with it. :thumb: Besides, there's already a thread about this. :D

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Hey, don't make fun of teenagers! You'll be one yourself one day.

Seriously, if you want "limited edition" collectibles, either deal with producers other than the US Mint, or wait for issues that DO have a hard mintage limit defined up front. Unlike this one.

7. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

If you want an 'investment', there are far better investments than coin collecting.
    Collecting anything is generally a terrible 'investment'.
    When it comes to coins, we do it for the enjoyment, beauty, and history.
    When it comes to 'making a buck', you win some, you lose some, but it is far from a reliable investment.

8. Smart driver

Smart driver Member

http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/collectors_corner/index.cfm?action=why_collect

"Why Collect Coins?

There are many excellent reasons why you might want to collect coins. For starters, they tell unique stories. A coin's design, mint mark, condition and composition can offer a glimpse into history and a better understanding of the past.

Some people collect coins in the hope that they will appreciate in value. Some coins have intrinsic bullion value (such as silver, gold and platinum coins). Others become valuable because they are rare.

Coin collecting, one of the oldest hobbies, was once practiced only by kings and the wealthy. That's why coin collecting often is called the "king of hobbies" and the "hobby of kings."

Coin collecting became increasingly popular in America during the 1930s when United States commemorative coins became widely available. Today, there are millions of coin collectors in the United States alone. The thriving coin-collecting community, which includes clubs throughout the United States provides numerous opportunities for collectors to meet and trade."

9. bigness1970

bigness1970 New Member

I agree, i'ld give him mint cost +20. I collect them for myself...not to sell. Wonder if he has any burnished reverse proofs to unload since he wont be collecting anymore!

10. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

No, I don't. It'd be deceptive if they specifically said an S minted ASE was only going to be available in the SF set. There's nothing deceptive about it.

11. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

Flipping is one thing to make a few bucks but I don't consider a few bucks from flipping actually investing.. ;)

12. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

This is further down from where rodeoclown copied:

Order Information:There will be a four-week ordering window beginning June 7, 2012, at noon (ET) and endingJuly 5, 2012, at 5 p.m. (ET).These sets will beminted to meet demand.

I colorized the underlined in red so you can see for yourself. They were minted to meet demand, meaning if the demand was for 10,000 that's what they minted.

13. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Such as DC... I've never seen any of his coins sell for less than the offering price, in fact, most are considerably higher; and for a quick "flip", check eBay prices vs. DC's original price... it's quite amazing.

14. BUncirculated

Remarks like that are really uncalled for.

You started this thread in an open forum, open meaning open to any member to comment on.

15. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

As far as I understand, they will not mint anymore sets. I'm not aware of a claim from the mint that stated that they couldn't mint one or both of the coins separately or in different sets. In fact, it was discussed on a different thread a few months ago that they might do just that. My fingers are crossed that we won't see any reverse proofs sold separately. Since they are shipping all the sets by the end of July, I'm thinking that they may have made more than 251k of them. If so, stand by for reverse proof sales in another package.

16. BUncirculated

You're right. Only the sets had a limited number that would be sold, and that number was to meet only the demand for the sets.

The coins themselves, could minted and sold in another offering, or even as individual proofs.

The OP is not understanding this, but his outrage over this is typical of investors as opposed to collectors.

17. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I'm a collector but hope they don't make sell the rp's in any other form. I also like to track the value of my coins in a gi-normous spreadsheet. If the everyone complains to the mint, it seems OK to me. It's all about me you know:)

18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Ya know that new automated packaging system that the San Fran mint has installed? Well, it went 'rouge' one nite, locked all the doors, and took over the coin presses......spitting out an additional 50,000 coins. Meanwhile, at a Bureau of Printing and Engraving near you, much the same thing happened. Faced with the 'what to do' dilemma the mint decided to create a new offering. That's it in a nutshell guys, and remember, you read it here first. Now, off to sell my article to Coin World........... :devil:

19. MAKECENTS

MAKECENTS Active Member

thats the reason i wrote this lol

20. MAKECENTS

MAKECENTS Active Member

this is what i really want. They are going do things to make people question if their investment will be a huge loss. I think everyone wants to see their coins shoot up in value whether you collect to leave to family or to flip and make money. No one wants to see huge losses.

21. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Did you get a chance to cancel your order or were you too late?

Draft saved Draft deleted