Featured This is NOT a donkey head!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

My dirty Decius
    TrajanDeciusRIC12b.JPG

Plumbata, Sulla80, Sallent and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JSermarini

JSermarini Member

There are some dealers that have been getting this right for years.

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member Supporter

Correcting obvious errors in books is both difficult and thankless. We still have too many people who worship the printed word and distrust anything online. It is rather like saying that eBay coins are all fakes without acknowledging that the most trustworthy dealers sometimes sell on eBay. In this case, we have to admit that some dies and some coins look more dragon like than others. Some people pay extra for good die work while others would rather have MS65 from a sloppy donkey die. I really, really doubt that any die cutter ever considered people in the future not being able to tell one critter from another.

Sardar and Roman Collector like this.
  5. Plumbata

Plumbata Well-Known Member

It arrived a bit over a week ago, but the encrustation has been very tenacious and unresponsive to easier and faster techniques so pin tools under 20X appears to be the only option. The crust seems like re-deposited crystallized metallic copper, never seen anything quite like it. I've gotten the face cleared plus some other areas and the underlying surfaces are fine, but it's slow-going and will probably be put off until Winter when there isn't anything better to do.

While that antoninianus purchase was coincidental, I just won this 30mm 18.09g sestertius because of this thread. It can use some cleaning-up too as the legends and details are gunked-up but the underlying patina looks strong so hopefully it will be more fun to work on. Y'all and your interesting threads are a bad influence!:p

tdd1.jpg tdd2.jpg

6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Supporter! Supporter

That's a very nice sestertius! Much harder to come by than the antoninianus, too.

Plumbata likes this.
  7. catadc

catadc Active Member

Three months later, i got one.
    20191006_171813.jpg 20191006_171652.jpg

8. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Supporter! Supporter

Severus Alexander likes this.
  9. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter Good 'Ol Gallienus

Draft saved Draft deleted