This is MS 60? Are they kidding???

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Morgandude11, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

It is not a circulated coin.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. usc96

usc96 Junior Member

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

The "TruView" photos that @physics-fan3.14 posted certainly show a more lustrous coin. I am not good at grading . . . period. And not a Morgan collector, but it does appear that I would grade it higher. Not much, but a point or two.
    I liked it when the grades were: Good. Bad. Ugly. LOL So much easier to grade them with only those choices.

Inspector43 likes this.
  5. usc96

usc96 Junior Member

I would be ticked if I purchased the coin thinking I was getting this https://www.pcgs.com/cert/39237567, and the coin looked like the OP's photo when it arrived at my door.

However, to be fair, I am NOT in the market for $9,500 Morgan dollars.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

I have a raw 84 S that looks a BUNCH better than this. I really do not think the coin is more than a 60-61. JMO
    Semper Fi

7. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Treasure! Why not get it graded?

8. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

9. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Me too. A coin is either circulated or uncirculated. If all the design specifications are still present how can one be better than another? IMO.

10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I’m fairly certain the OP pictures are scans not photos.

11. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

As someone previously noted this coin may have an overabundance of dipping. I certainly couldn't say, though, but the way I understand it, dipping would have nothing at all to do with wear.

12. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

In an instance like this where there is a huge price jump between AU and MS, does an MS60 typically sell for MS money? It’s such an uncommon grade that when I see it, it makes me suspect that it’s a borderline problem coin. Wouldn’t it be worth more as a 58?

13. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

In the case of the 84-S you would think so and you very likely have a much nicer coin with a 58 especially a CAC one. As of right now there is a significant gap between the 58s and 60s for this one price wise which really is a great example of how dumb the grading scale can be with that hard-line at 58

KSorbo likes this.
  14. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

15. jgrinz

jgrinz Senior Member

I would not be opposed to an AU58+ :)

Draft saved Draft deleted