This is MS 60? Are they kidding???

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Morgandude11, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I am very well aware that 1884s is a key date in Uncirculated condition, having collected Morgans for over 50 years. I completed two full sets of Morgans, and sold them. Neither had a MS 1884s—in both cases, the coins I owned were AU 55, and AU 58.

Likewise, I am well aware that 1884s is probably the most conservatively graded date in the Morgan series. TPGs do not want to make the jump from a $500 coin to a $12,000 coin, or more rashly. However, I just happened on this coin, and my response was “holy crap!!!” (Actually stronger than that, but it will suffice for now). No way this coin gets graded MS 60, if it were any other date. It is at least a 63 or more, all day, night, and week long.

Talk about market grading! Wow!

4409F91A-C277-43DD-9EDF-EDE031F67AC5.jpeg 2DF585C7-A125-4055-90E5-AEE300144CBF.jpeg

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Malleus Maleficarum

Malleus Maleficarum Well-Known Member

Here's an 1884-S that actually has the MS-63 grade so people can compare. I have no bone in this because Trade Dollars are my thing, not Morgans.

35805723_Large real.jpg

4. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Did you buy it? Meow likes it, tis very pretty.

5. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

When does that happen -- at what grades ?

And they sure didn't mind when they jumped the price of some Franklins in that infamous CU thread that I posted a few years ago. :D

6. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

You're saying this is an MS63 but PCGS didn't want to grade it that high...because the $$$ value of the coin would be too high ?? :wideyed:

7. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Honestly, the coin seems rather dull and luster-free to me...

8. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

I think MS62 at a minimum.

LA_Geezer likes this.
  9. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

From a technical standpoint this coin should grade higher, but with luster as the most important factor in grading, this coin seems graded correctly.
    It has the washout look and diminished luster.
    Maybe it should grade MS61 as of the lack of severe scratches and hairlines, but not higher.

10. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

Yes, the luster, or lack thereof, is what immediately caught my eye. Perhaps dipped one too many times.

usc96, Mountain Man, capthank and 3 others like this.
  11. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

You can see the quandary that PCGS was left in:
    1. Not hairlined from cleaning
    2. Not attractive or original enough for AU58.
    3. Not lustrous enough for MS61, 62, or 63.
    4. Not worn enough for AU55.

12. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I strongly suspect there are issues on the coin which are not apparent in those pictures.

60 is actually an uncommon grade, and they don't just toss it out.

baseball21 likes this.
  13. physics-fan3.14

Although, if you look at the TruView, it does seem to show something better than a 60 (maybe 61, but probably not 62). The strike is somewhat weak (but that doesn't really matter in the 60-63 range). The luster on the obverse appears decent, although reverse luster is weak. The entire surface of the coin is littered with tickmarks and light hairlines, however. I suspect this is the primary grade driver. There are no major marks, which I would expect on a 60 (just a *lot* of minor marks). They may also have punished it for a light cleaning that wasn't severe enough to give it a details grade.

[​IMG]

14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The coin graded a 60. Crack it out and resubmit. You'll never see that coin higher than it is now.

Inspector43 likes this.
  15. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

The original coin above is not uncirculated. So, it should get a high AU rate. IMO

16. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

My own looks about the same as morgandude11's, although mine is better looking. It was purchased raw for a lot less than $500. No evidence of foul play on it at all and superior luster. A trifle more wear, though, so no way it would make it to MS60. Would not trade mine for this slabbed one, even though.

17. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Any sign of wear at all should void any MS designation. Am I right or wrong?

LA_Geezer and Collecting Nut like this.
  18. physics-fan3.14

Yes, that is correct, of course.

However, I'm not seeing wear on the coin originally posted here.

19. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

In my book you are correct!

LA_Geezer and Inspector43 like this.
  20. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

No, it isn’t my coin. As I said previously, I only owned AU versions of the 1884s, AU 55, and 58. This coin is obviously MS, and ANY other date would grade at least as a 63 in my opinion, based on extensive Morgan collecting. The strike is average, and luster is average. It is somewhat baggy, but 60-62 coins are usually much baggier.

21. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

MS-60 is odd. Maybe lower but certainly not higher in my opinion. Interesting post thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted