This is more than "just coins"

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dimefreak, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

Quite a few members of the CoinTalk community tend to get pretty bent out of shape when talking about toning premiums.Although sometimes I agree in a fixed price setting, I cant help but disagree in an auction setting. The reason being is most collectors collect toners because they set their collections apart. There is no disputing that a white coin has less character than a toned coin.After a while a Rainbow Toned collector begins feeling like a caveman hunting for his families dinner. The hunt becomes half (if not more of the fun). So what happens when two or more "caveman" stumble upon the same Wooly Mammoth? Logic would tell us they fight for it. Not only do they want to put food on their families table, but their is a lot of pride involved. I use this analogy because I feel the same can be said for Rainbow Toner Hunters. In most cases a RTH is very proud of the vast array of colorful coins he/she owns. Any chance an RTH gets they love to show their favorite pieces.I mean have you ever met a modest RTH? Therefore when an RTH finds a coin that he/she is absolutely in love with, anybody that steps in their way must be obliterated. After all, how else is the RTH going to capture the coin he/she wants if he/she doesn't win the auction.

Case and point (Less than 24 hrs. underway)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/1964d-PCGS-MS67..._Individual&hash=item4aa6abcdb0#ht_6069wt_962

Although like most, I would always prefer to win an auction for less than expected. But if you really want a coin or to own something than many others have wanted.A auction setting is perfect because the coin is only going to sell for what two people are willing to spend on it. Unlike a fixed price, the price one pays shouldn't be disputed because he/she is not alone in determining the price. Quite possibly the best thing about an auction setting is you can find solace in knowing that plenty of others wanted the coin you just "overpaid for".

I hope that this thread motivates at least one coin collector to start thinking outside of the box. Quit listening to folks that bad mouth paying premiums. Quit going to PCGS's price guide to see if its a "fair" price. Numismedia and the Redbook can be a thing of the past. Simply ask yourself " Am I gonna let somebody take this coin from me?" After that, go give them hell, and when the coin arrives in your mail box set it on your mantle with the biggest grin in the world. Because your mantle is adorned by a piece that many wanted. This time you were the dominate RTH. You Hunted, You Found, and You Captured. Thats why I say this is more than just coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

And after asking yourself if you are gonna let somebody take the coin from you, ask yourself if you want the roof over your head and the clothes on your back! :D
    Only kidding, but bidding wars, especially on toned coins can get out of hand to an extreme. You also have to be very reasonable with prices paid on coins, and try to factor in a fair price using Numismedia, PCGS, and completed listings for coins with similar toning along with the dates they sold, to get an accurate price to pay.

I get what you are saying, there are quite a few people that shy away from toned coins for numerous reasons and one of them is the fact that toner's can get pretty high up there in price. Some people would rather be bland, if you will, and don't see the point in the big premiums for what they may considered to be a damaged coin.

Dimefreak, I wish more people would be a tad less uptight when it comes to toned coins. I think the thrill of buying a toned coin, getting it in hand, and studying all of its characteristics is a wonderful thing to do. What separates toned coins from each other is that every coin is different, of course all coins are different, but toned coins are less generic than a blast white coin.

I'd take the eye-appealing toner at a small, to large premium, depending on toning and price, over a white coin any day.

4. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Really, that goes for just about anything that people can compete in buying. Coins at auction regularly exceed expectations by many multiples, as does art, manuscripts, or just about anything you can think of. My employer does this with fuel credit auctions every three years where they bid on tens of billions of gallons of fuel for future use. There is no market or set price in anything if you get right down to it.
    Guy

5. krispy

krispy krispy

Overpaying for a toner...

[​IMG]

6. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

Awesome Creativity..... the coin on the billboard actually is through Heritage ;)

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Nothing wrong with bragging rights Dime, I used to brag about my coins too ! But that's what you're talking about here - nothing more, and nothing less.

It has always been and probably always will be a matter of mow much you are willing to pay to have those bragging rights. That's what makes the Registry programs work after all ;)

8. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I avoid the question of how much premium to place on a rainbow toned coin.
    Simple.
    I don't intentionally collect them.

Like I've said in the past, I like my MS coins "blast white" and my circ coins in various degrees of grey depending on the grade.
    So any rainbow toned coin I have I didn't pay a premium for.

But I do find toned Jeffersons appealing.
    Nickels tend to tone less and in a more subtle manner.

9. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

Great day to be a toning collector! Lets see some of those coins you guys have been hunting :D

10. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

I hope this doesn't offend, but if anyone of you just paid that amount of money for a 64D dime (which are more common than grass),.... and ya sat down next to me at the watering hole,,, I'd laugh and call you stupid until you either hit me or got up and left.

11. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

They are not common as dirt

Draft saved Draft deleted