This is long overdue

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Johndakerftw, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

Hi everyone,

I hope you’re all doing well. Thank you for contributing your wonderful coins and vast knowledge to the forum. I learn so much. Checking the forum has been the highlight of my day many times throughout the pandemic.

Thanks to the incredible community of collectors here, I have been able to keep my collection growing. Most important to me is that I haven’t been forgotten.

I haven’t been very active because depression sucks and, sometimes, it hits really hard. It means so much to see a message asking how I’m doing or that someone is asking if they can send a coin.

I don’t post for likes, but, when I do post, those likes mean a lot.

Orfew messaged me a few weeks ago asking for my address. A couple of weeks later, I was excited to receive these in the mail:
    295E3AE3-A14B-41A5-BA35-1E4CEE6AE959.jpeg 3A9A0BDA-9D49-424A-861D-A369800E2AC8.jpeg FFE551A6-D3B5-4802-A944-7DD857ED39FD.jpeg

I’m a tortoise, so, I’m slowing attributing them to the best of my ability. They’re so much fun. I feel accomplished when I’m confident that I’ve correctly identified a coin, a feeling that I’ve lacked for what seems like an eternity now.

Thank you, @Orfew, for thinking of me and gifting these great little pieces of history to me and to others.

Thank you to all of you for looking out for each other, for checking in on each other and for sharing your knowledge, experience and friendship.

I am truly blessed and grateful to be able to count you all as friends.

Feel free to post anything, funny stuff is especially welcomed!

Have a great day!

Erin

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice new coins Erin! I hope you are having a great day as well.

Johndakerftw and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  4. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

congrats to you and @Orfew , please give us a progress report on attributions

5. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Hi Erin, I'm glad to hear you're doing well & hopefully not infected with Covid-19 :D. We seem to have a resurgence here in the states & I believe we're even forbidden from entering your country :(. I closed out my Facebook account long ago so I can't throw likes to anyone :oldman:. Pictured below is a great art treasure in the Hermitage Museum that might give you a chuckle :p. It's a hand wrought electrum vase made in the North Black Sea Region, circa 4th century BC, & this side depicts two sitting Scythian warriors. The man on the left is trying to pull a rotten tooth from his comrades mouth :facepalm: while the man on the right is resisting :stop:. The warrior life style was pretty rough in those days in more ways than one :rolleyes:.
    Scythian Electrum vase, 4th cen. BC.jpg

Limes, PeteB, Edessa and 9 others like this.
  6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Way to GOooooo... Erin! Nice snare!

Thinking of you...

upload_2020-10-22_15-11-13.png

upload_2020-10-22_15-12-49.png

upload_2020-10-22_15-13-40.png

upload_2020-10-22_15-16-0.png

upload_2020-10-22_15-18-57.png upload_2020-10-22_15-28-20.png

upload_2020-10-22_15-30-12.png upload_2020-10-22_15-31-40.png

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  7. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

@Johndakerftw, that is a Solid lot. Congratulations. ...And, just, Serious, Main Best.
    Wish I was like @Alegandron, and had that much to fire off at a moment's notice. @Al Kowsky's post was pretty good, too. For what it's worth, you guys are doing it for me....

Johndakerftw likes this.
  8. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

First, depression is a viscous beast and your friends will always be there. That means we know it takes its own time and we're just happy to get to see ya/ read ya
    funny-cartoon-male-character-vector-1421688.jpg

B: Ooooooweeeeeeeeeeee! SCORE!!! (To quote RC) That right there is one of my very favorite parts of collecting. And they all look pretty fully identifiable. Hats off to the man of the hour @Orfew
    tenor-20.gif
    *love the look on Pitts face. "Oh, everyone is standing. So shall I."
    And lastly,
    tenor-30.gif

Edessa, ominus1, Theodosius and 3 others like this.
  9. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

@Orfew is amazing! I just received a batch of coins from him, which I will try to post tomorrow.

thank you to @Orfew, @tenbobbit, and all the other generous folks in the Ancients forum. You guys are what keep us newbies alive!

10. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

Thanks everyone!

I appreciate the responses. Reptile memes are always a great source of entertainment. :)

My bearded dragon has begun his winter slumber, so, he’s going to be pretty boring for the next while. My 20 year old golden gecko is still going strong as is my four year old leopard gecko. My two cats are a good source of company too as I’ve found it incredibly lonely over the last six months.

That vase is fantastic, Al. Lol. Ouch! :eek:

The coin I’m having the most difficulty with is this one.

49B6E432-A89E-41D1-AA77-7EC87005FEFB.jpeg 1120FE36-DC70-47C4-9B1E-FA50D9447F09.jpeg

It’s very interesting! No legend. I don’t know much about LRBs. So, is there a reason why there’s no writing on the coin? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

I’ve been using the Tesorillo website to help identify the coins. When I get them all attributed, I’ll make another thread.

Thanks again everyone!

Erin

Edessa, singig and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The reverse shows the then current three rulers. The one in the middle was a child. The obverse legend would have told you which of the three issued that coin but you will have to guess.

12. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

“How far that little candle throws its beams! So shines a good deed in a naughty world.”

I love those front-facing obverse busts. I need to snag one of those myself one of these days.

13. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Erin, I'm afraid I have nothing funny to post, but I did want to say that I always enjoy seeing you post something. And even though I don't post for likes either, it's nice to almost always see your name, along with other people's, and know that someone's out there listening to me. Because I've felt very isolated too the last seven months -- especially with my son being back up in Toronto since July, and not being able to visit him -- and i have a history of depression myself. But Coin Talk definitely helps me feel better. As well as, of course, the companionship of my 14-year old orange tabby, Ziggy, who says hi. As do I!

He's gotten so imperious that he doesn't even drink from the faucet so much anymore -- I have to fill the red plastic cup and hold it to his mouth whenever he tells me he's thirsty, which he does by knocking the cup into the sink about 6 times every day.
    IMG_5942 Ziggy Feb-Mar 2020.JPG

He's a very big boy.

DML & Ziggy 3.30.17 - 2.jpg

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Limes, Roman Collector, PeteB and 6 others like this.
  14. +VGO.DVCKS

@Johndakerftw, I can second this much of what DonnaML broadly implied: only especially under, may we say, certain circumstances, susceptibilty to depression is essentially a badge of intelligence. ...When you run across people who can be that dysfunctional, and that dumb at the same time, then it gets scary.
    One thing that helps me is to try to channel it into full-blown, honest grief. --No, Really, Highly recommended! Kind of cleans out the emotional pores.

DonnaML and Johndakerftw like this.
  15. +VGO.DVCKS

@DonnaML, That is a Lot of Cat! Sustained chuckling ensues.

DonnaML and Johndakerftw like this.
  16. +VGO.DVCKS

And, Yipe, I finally found this on Wildwinds! Your LRB looks a Lot like an issue of Honorius. As a kid, I had one that I should Never, Ever have parted with, even while I was putting most of my juvenile collection down my lungs. It corresponds to Sear (with apologies, 1974 edition), 4155. (Mine was from Ravenna --perfect storm, between the reign and the Italian mint.) The Wildwinds listing, from this page, is the one with the RIC reference X: 157.
    http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/honorius/i.html

Johndakerftw and DonnaML like this.
  17. +VGO.DVCKS

@DonnaML, you didn't Really get his name from Ziggy Marley? ...Who was named after the cartoon. Either one would be fun....

18. DonnaML

Freud? Actually, he already had the name when I adopted him as a kitten, and it seemed to fit, so I kept it.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  19. +VGO.DVCKS

@DonnaML, frankly not getting your transition to Freud. You're cordially invited to elucidate. Are you talking about Bob Marley naming one of his kids after the cartoon? Maybe he just liked the cartoon.
    ...Anyway, thanks for dispatching the initial question....

20. DonnaML

Nothing to do with Bob Marley. Just that if the name Ziggy makes me think of anyone famous, it might be Freud. But enough hijacking of @Johndakerftw's thread, please!

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  21. Herodotus

Herodotus Well-Known Member

Ahem...
    [​IMG]

In an effort to put the thread back on course...

A package of coins arriving surely is a remedy for 'the blues', or whatever else ails ya.

Edessa, DonnaML and Johndakerftw like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted