This is it: AMCC 3. Get ready for the fight!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ocatarinetabellatchitchix, Jun 29, 2021.

1. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Severus Alexander likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

4. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Thanks everyone! I hope y'all have fun and add a few treasures to your collections.

@maridvnvm: You, like Obi Wan, would kick our butts with your plastic light sabre even if we had real ones! :blackalien:

This is the first photo I took with my new camera (Kasolaba hemiobol):
    kasolaba hemiobol.jpg
    A few of the photos are recycled from previous auctions, but most of them are products of my new setup. A bit of a learning curve, so the quality might be a bit uneven - but I hope they are an improvement over the previous two auctions. (Should be better resolution at least!)

5. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

@Severus Alexander, I've also seen these AR Hemiobols attributed to Kebren, in Troas. Is there a way to tell them apart? Or are they the same coin but with a still uncertain origin?

6. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

Absolutely with the wait! Top notch presentation with a ton of great material.
    I’ll be bidding for sure, and excited to be a seller for the first time..

Severus Alexander and Orielensis like this.
  7. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

I must admit I take some comfort from not being on the list. However, I certainly will try to win something this time around, if I have any money left after the show I’m going to a week before. Then, I suppose that’s it until college.

8. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I remember this question arising back when I researched the coin - it's been a while, though, I'm not sure I'll be able to answer your question to your satisfaction!

There are ram coins with "KEBRE" as an ethnic, clearly attributable to Kebren. These usually have a simple incuse square reverse. If they have a head, they are now given to Kasolaba based on a few converging pieces of evidence. (They used to be attributed to Salamis.)

First, the odd symbol behind the head, made of two curves, is a letter in the Carian alphabet, and only in the Carian alphabet. Second, the weight standard is Milesian, which was used in Caria. Attributing the coins to a specific city is trickier; as I recall, the Carian inscription on a variety of these makes it fit with Kasolaba best. Here's the paper if you want to read it!

The Carian lettering is the best clue, but tetartemoria lack this. As far as I can tell the ram/youthrful head combo is always Kasolaba though, so that's an easy way to tell the difference.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    Roman Collector likes this.
  9. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

10. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I am happy to say that @Orielensis and I have the world's monopoly on coins of this issue. Yes; we own both known examples. I was the lucky high bidder on this one at AMCC 3!

I believe our coins are obverse die-matches, as one might expect for such a scarce bust type.

Faustina Sr AVGVSTA S C Vesta standing As veiled.jpg
    Faustina I, AD 138-140.
    Roman Æ as or dupondius, 9.03 g, 24.4 mm, 5 h.
    Rome, AD 145.
    Obv: DIVA FAVSTINA, veiled and draped bust, right.
    Rev: AVGVSTA S C, Vesta veiled, standing left, holding palladium and scepter.
    Refs: Dinsdale 021525; RIC 1179 var. (veiled bust); BMCRE 1582 var. (veiled bust); RCV --.
    Notes: Issued to commemorate the marriage of Faustina II and Marcus Aurelius in AD 145.

@Orielensis' example:

Faustina Sr AVGVSTA S C Vesta standing As veiled Orielensis.png

Orfew, TIF, Orielensis and 7 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted