This is a super ONE of a kind lincoln, i have never had my hands on something like this!

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by korey d, Feb 19, 2019.

1. korey d

korey d Member

thank you CT , Thank you for your knowledge. I am posting a couple more pics that are alittle better. not much better , i need better equip:(

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Korey there is nothing there. I do see a die polishing line.
    It's a Philly cent nothing more.

4. korey d

korey d Member

thank you , such rapid answers love it. i appreciate your feedback on it.

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Korey, it is a type of pareidolia,
    From Wikipedia,

Pareidolia (/pærɪˈdoʊliə/ parr-i-DOH-lee-ə) is the tendency to interpret a vague stimulus as something known to the observer, such as interpreting marks on Mars as canals, seeing shapes in clouds, or hearing hidden messages in music.

Common examples are perceived images of animals, faces, or objects in cloud formations, the Man in the Moon, the Moon rabbit, hidden messages in recorded music played in reverse or at higher- or lower-than-normal speeds, and hearing indistinct voices in random noise such as that produced by air conditioners or fans.[1]
    [​IMG]
    Satellite photo of a mesa in the Cydonia region of Mars, often called the "Face on Mars" and cited as evidence of extraterrestrial habitation.
    [​IMG]
    A more detailed photograph taken in different lighting in 2001 shows how it is a natural rock formation.

From me,

Most people who have not spent a long time using magnifiers or those using USB camera with low resolution and high enlargement. The human brain tries it best to make sense out of a group of stimuli, but if it random , but outside of the normal type of stimuli for the person, the brain tries to associate it with something known.

Here is an interesting site with examples
    https://www.livescience.com/25448-pareidolia.html

Error collectors looking for errors early in the hobby, see extra letters, numbers, eyes, etc. It tends to fade when you convince your brain that it is just random. Stains , small corrosion becomes extra doubling, mm, buttons, extra feather, etc. A person doesn't really see what the eye processes as visual data, they only see it after it is processed internally in the visual cortex. Fight Pareidolia !!! Jim

6. korey d

korey d Member

Jim. That’s is really awesome. Thanks for the info in there. Your right. I’ve been doing that on a lot. I’m gonna keep hunting cause I got the bug. I appreciate your expertise.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

After taking a second look at all of the OP's photos some show and others don't what appears to be a D mintmark. In one photo the D appears very small and in no way is a mintmark.

Given the different photo angles and the lighting it appears and disappears. This coin was minted at the Philadelphia Mint in 1963. The false D is caused by what you see caused by lighting as it hits and reflects off of the surface of the coin.

The metal in the area of the mintmark is two toned, light and dark. It also looks like a slightly raised area. All these things combined make you want to see a D, which really isn't there and never was.

8. Jim sullivan

Jim sullivan Toned coins rule

Idk about a missing mintmark guys but assuming the pics, the quality they are, shpw what op is seeing, that 9 in the date if nothing else sure looks doubled to me. Clearly split at the end. Would love to see some clearer pics though. Op, try taking a pic through your loupe.

9. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

That 1963 Cent was minted in Philly, with no mintmark.

Draft saved Draft deleted