This is a proper coin size!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by nerosmyfavorite68, May 20, 2022.

1. nerosmyfavorite68

nerosmyfavorite68 Well-Known Member

I go through streaks of ordering from certain dealers. London Ancient Coins have been getting a lot of my business lately, and I've been quite happy with all of the coins from there.

In the week before my staycation, I ordered some coins and opted for the faster and more expensive DHL option. Even though there was a week's delay because of the useless phone number, the package showed up during my vacation.

This is my second order using DHL Express and I've been quite happy with both. The turnaround time on both orders were extremely fast. I also know now to send a just-in-case email with a phone number if I order anything DHL Express.

I've also generally been upping my game, generally going after quality examples of types I care about, save for times where a decrepit rarity might be the only one within my budget. I also tend to do throw-in coins, although they're harmless enough.

This isn't the nicest coin of the order, but let's start out with the largest. My hands aren't dry enough to risk taking them out of the flip yet, but all are as good or better than the picture.

The first one, a Justinian, is a whopping 44.5 mm. I think this is my second or third example of 40+ mm. Justinians. I'm a lover of large coins, my ideal sweet spot being 33 mm. + on AE's.

Yd4JbYJ3ED7erjN8Wf6WktF95AaKHi.jpg

Justinian I (527-565). Æ 40 Nummi (44.5mm, 20.47g, 6h). Nicomedia, year 13 (539/40). Helmeted and cuirassed bust facing, holding globus cruciger and shield; cross to r. R/ Large M; date across fields; B// NIK. Sear 201. Green patina, VF

The dealer picture is pretty true to type. The coin's ok-looking, mostly ordered for the size.

The nicest one of the order:

Still pretty large, 37mm., this is my first Antioch Justinian facing bust follis, and was chosen because it's an attractive coin.

3wrGEF7cmLW264Wkee8AS9dwgN5RRF.jpg

Justinian I (527-565). Æ 40 Nummi (37mm, 20.77g, 6h). Theoupolis (Antioch), year 20 (546/7). Facing helmed and cuirassed bust, holding globus cruiciger. R/ Large M; cross above, date across field; A/9HЧΠ. MIBE 145a; DOC 217; Sear 220. Good VF

The others were just regular orders or throw-ins.

8Mgbn9xD6FttQs3z2CmFLbc7JZ4jrK.jpg

alens (364-378). AR Siliqua (18mm, 1.60g, 6h). Treveri, 367-375. Pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust r. R/ Roma seated l., holding Victory on globe and spear; TRPS•. RIC IX 27e; RSC 109†b. Edge broken, otherwise Good VF

The coin's a bit darker than the picture. I wonder if it's a hoard patina?

I don't collect the post-Maxentius emperors that much, but even with the edge chip, it's my nicest Valens to date. I usually try and only go after non-clipped siliquae.

I've always wanted an example of this Maximinus debased argenteus, and at only $36, it wasn't appreciably worse than many of the more expensive vcoins examples. This one looks better in person.

Gx7j2PcS9eA4T5aM5kE83XLdi6gJHx.jpg Maximinus II (310-313). BI Argenteus (18.5mm, 2.53g, 11h). Treveri. Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust l., raising hand and holding globe. R/ Sol driving facing quadriga, head l., raising hand and holding whip; PTR. RIC VI 826; RSC 174. VF

The last one is a truly tiny coin. I threw it in because it was so early.

Zbj7P5FyQmn89Xcxdf6E8Ps2e3G34S.jpg
    Lesbos, Unattributed early mint, c. 500-450 BC. BI 1/12 Stater (9mm, 0.63g). Confronted boars’ heads. R/ Four-part incuse square. HGC 6, 1067.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ignoramus Maximus

Ignoramus Maximus Nomen non est omen.

Yes! There is an undeniable satisfaction in holding a large, hefty coin. The artwork on, say, a hemiobol may be astounding, but it's great fun to admire a coin without a magnifying glass. It's also one of the reasons why I have some terracotta flasks and other antiques to complement my coins. They add a little body to the small coin displays I make. Without them, it'd be all too easy to overlook the coins.

And congrats on your purchases, of course.:)

nerosmyfavorite68 likes this.
  4. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

All good coins. And I truly agree that BIG coins or small coins have something atractive. The recent Maximinus Thrax hexassarion I received (37 mm and 26 g) is impressive in hand especially when my assumption that the auction house was wrong (described as 14 grams for some reason) was confirmed.
    What is under 10 mm or over 30 mm really makes me have a second look at the coin.

5. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

nero, Your monster 40 nummi from Nicomedia is impressive :happy:! The Nicomedia Mint struck the most impressive 40 nummi coins in the Byzantine Empire. I was lucky to score a fine example for my collection 6 years ago :D.

Nicomedia, Year 13 AWK.jpg
    Justinian I, AD 527-565 (struck year 13, AD 539-540), Nicomedia Mint. AE 40 Nummi: 22.47 gm, 41 mm, 6 h. Sear 201.

6. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

normal_Justinien 539.jpg 44 mm, 21.60 g.

sand, Edessa and Johndakerftw like this.
  7. nerosmyfavorite68

Someone at work said the Antioch one looked like an Oreo cookie. :wideyed::hilarious:

8. nerosmyfavorite68

Were I deep-pocketed, I'd heavily collect Sestertii of the earlier 12 Caesars (up to Galba), as those are generally huge.

I remember looking at a coin show tray of high grade 12 Caesar Sestertii, and those were truly impressive. This was back in the 1990's, and I think even then they were $400 on up.

Huge Ptolemaic AE are cool, and although I get on collecting spurts, the design is a bit monotonous.

There's also Roman Alexandrian Drachms.

I also enjoy the oversized Hellenistic Tetradrachms of around c. 200-180 B.C.

Remixes Sir Mixalot, I like big coins and I cannot lie...":headphone::singing:

Draft saved Draft deleted