This Forum Is Great - For a Lot of Reasons

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mikev, Jun 5, 2013.

1. mikev

mikev Member

I'm a new collector, but I've been interested in coins for a long time. In either case, my coin of choice is the American Silver Eagle Proof. I'm 7 coins short of completing my collection (to include the sets). Years ago, my wife decided to buy the Presidential Dollar coins from a mail order place. We pay $17.95 for the coin, $2 shipping. Now you do get a nice folder to put them in, and they come affixed to a very nice cardboard sheet that has all kinds of informative information on it. Even comes with a mint stamp.

A few years later, I decided to get the State Quarters, same company, same folder(s) etc. These are $15.95 each, $2 shipping. You do get both quarters.

I was fine with this, thought it was a decent deal. Then, I decided to start with the Eagles, and since those are a bit more money, to do some research. I'm sure glad I did, and I'm sure glad I found this site. The above things that we are collecting are NOT a good deal at all, but now we're basically committed until the collection is complete. That's the way it goes.

I got the latest delivery of quarters today, and inside there was an advertisement for ASE's, proofs. Although it comes with a nice display box, they want $142 EACH! for them. No COA, nothing. That is insane, and I think that people that are like me (or were) will fall for this. Glad I found the site, and I appreciate what I learn here.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ten

Ten Member

I agree. This forum is awesome!

I made similar mistakes when I first started.
    But look at it this way... while it may not have been the best deal, it helped you develop your interest in the hobby and helped to get you interested in learning more.

4. Just chalk it up to the cost of education. Unfortunately, I don't think I will ever graduate.

5. Danr

Danr Numismatist

Draft saved Draft deleted