This fits better here than anywhere else on the forum.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Pickin and Grinin, Dec 8, 2018.

1. GenX Enthusiast

GenX Enthusiast Forensic grammatician

Pretty amazing how you can get what seems to be a natural toning progression in so little time and with so little effort. I do think there's a very big difference between the production of this toning and some of the outrageous AT I see in the Morgan world. There are hundreds/thousands of ICG holders on ebay with coins that look like they were done by one of those street, spray-can artists.

What would be really interesting is to see if you can get pull toning with this method. Did anyone get the recent David Lawrence newsletter with the article about coin and slab doctors?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

GenX even though I am helping the toning progression along and yes in basic terms the toning is "natural", it is conditions related. I am sure that some have figure out how to achieve Pull away toning, Yet this experiment is not meant to gain results that may be used to fool a collector or the TPG's. It is only for fun to watch a coin tone and progress.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I understand how a lot of folks might think it amazing because they think it takes a long time for coins to tone. But in reality it's not amazing at all, it's completely normal. Ya see, toning can and often does occur very quickly. In point of fact toning begins on all coins the very moment a coin is struck.

And once it's started the speed at which toning progresses is determined by the coin itself, its storage conditions, and the specific environment in which it is stored.

geekpryde likes this.
  5. GenX Enthusiast

GenX Enthusiast Forensic grammatician

Exactly, knowing it can happen so quickly due to whatever conditions are present, I have to look at toned coins much differently... and probably tighten up my relationships with trustworthy dealers. I think my own vision of toning premiums is based on the faulty idea that toning is rare, happens over long periods of time aka decades, is unpredictable and very lucky, whereas it may be not any of those. Scary.

@Pickin and Grinin - I only mention pull toning as it is described as very hard/impossible to replicate in the article, therefore a decent, though not infallible, marker for NT.

6. GDJMSP

The whole concept is just a bunch of nonsense. Pull back toning occurs as a matter of chance, nothing more. It can just as easily occur with AT as it does with NT. And it's a matter of chance with both.

And no, I'm not saying you can pour a bunch of chemicals on a coin and get pull back toning. But if you do the artificial toning correctly, you will absolutely get pull back toning at times. Whether it occurs or not depends on the very same things that all toning depends on, the coin itself, its storage conditions, and the specific environment in which it is stored.

7. Pickin and Grinin

I am at this point right now. The coins are now in a newly finished or at least relatively new area. I wonder if the coin changes as rapidly as it previously did.

8. GDJMSP

It won't to the same coins, that's a given. But the test you should run now would be with new coins stored in that new area ;)

9. Eric Babula

Eric Babula Active Member

Would love a copy of the newsletter, if someone has it.

10. Pickin and Grinin

Just adding an update to the coin.

You were 100% correct. The coin has not moved since I last posted the coin has only gotten darker.

upload_2020-6-30_14-16-45.png
    upload_2020-6-30_14-17-4.png

11. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

I probably missed but what environment is it stored in?

12. Pickin and Grinin

A non PVC flip, the consensus is the ink on the paper insert was the most likely culprit.

Draft saved Draft deleted