This fits better here than anywhere else on the forum.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Pickin and Grinin, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

This thread makes a lot more sense with my usual ignores...

green18 and Paddy54 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Let’s see the most recent photo. :meh:

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  4. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

+1

I'll second that notion !!

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

This is the next progression
    IMG_0001_1.JPG
    This was taken on 1/20/2018
    As @GDJMSP eluded to the dark streak did in fact turn to what is called terminal. Even this light russet which did not seem to have any hint of being terminal has turned terminal in and around the lettering. Why is that? If the toning stage is no where terminal then how was it the first to go to a terminal state when the dark streak appeared?

CircCam and Nathan401 like this.
  6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'm still not quite sure where you're going with this but -

I'd like you to do two things, show the other side of the coin as it was on 1/20. And, please tell us what that straight horizontal line in all 3 pictures is. In pic 1 it crosses in between the L and V in silver, in 2 at the bottom tip of the shark's tail, in 3 above the midpoint of the shark's body.

Rassi likes this.
  7. Pickin and Grinin

As far as what it looks like today. The toning has only went further around the rim. Really not much of a change. I may have not taken a photo.
    The line is the flip the coin resides in.

8. GDJMSP

OK, I just find it a bit odd that in all 3 pics the line is proportional to where the toning is - and is not. Did you intentionally position it that way when taking the pics, or are you storing the coin in those various positions - partially in and partially out of the flip ?

9. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

It almost looks like it was sitting in some kind of presentation holder that you could have on your desk to admire the coin. The holders back edge is what the coin leans on and is where the solid line of toning is??? Maybe the holder is a nice piece of stained wood?

After your first picture I would have removed the coin knowing where it was likely to lead. By the second image I personally would have been bummed that it had gotten so dark after only two months.

I also would have realized (as I am sure you did as well) with any more time in this environmental state it was going to be black and significantly damaged. Another couple months from your 3rd set of pictures and I would imagine the entire bottom half of the coin would be black and any toning above the black would soon after be black as well.

My guess is you mean "assisted" by way of not changing the environment that is/was creating the toning, not by doing something specific to speed up the toning.

10. USS656

So much for my stand theory or the progression of the toning. Hard to believe it progressed so fast over 4 months and then did not continue to go black across the rest of the surfaces.

First thing I do when I get a coin in a flip is take it out, now I am glad I do based on those photos!

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  11. GDJMSP

Darryl kind of touches on what I was going to ask next, would you please describe, in detail, everything about how you are storing or stored this coin. Please include everything, specific location, type of flip, how long, if anything changed, etc etc etc.

12. USS656

The coin below came from a collection I cataloged in July of 2013. There were 1800 coins all stored in the same location (most in album holders in a suitcase under a bed) for many years. Only the franklin set toned like this and almost the entire set (of MS coins) were ruined. This one was actually much better than some others. This is why you should look at you coins often and why I do not put my coins in albums made of paper. :( Sadly I think all of the coins are still in the same storage place, so god only knows what they look like now.

upload_2018-12-9_11-3-22.png

13. Pickin and Grinin

This turned into an experiment when I noticed the coin was volatile and reactive to the environment. Just remember when I bought the coin it sat in the case partly slipped from the flip. With only the russet exposed.
    With in a couple days and a slight twist to the coin, another color appeared. That is when I moved the coin further out of the flip creating the second photo. (third progression). Then the third photo and so on. I made one more movement between the last photo and the way it looks now, but I can't seem to find a photo of it.
    For giggles and those that want to know the moisture content in my basement. It stays between 2% and 6% in relative humidity. The temperature stays between 63 on a cold winter night and 68 on a hot summer day. In reality it is pretty consistent.
    As far as the space it resides in? I would say it looks like a man cave dedicated to coins.
    IMG_20181209_094050.jpg Except for a few dead soldiers (beer cans)that may pile up from laziness you see on the desk. I can't find anything else that would lead to the toning seen on the coin. Especially in such a short time.

FinishedWalkout likes this.
  14. USS656

Those Colorado Rocky Mountain Beer Fumes did it. ;)

green18 and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  15. Pickin and Grinin

This is the way the coin looks today. IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0001_1.JPG

GenX Enthusiast and CircCam like this.
  16. Pickin and Grinin

Here is a known fact. It has only been in the last 5 or so years that Clear Creek, which supplies Coors brewery with it's water has held over fish. When the Creek slows down and pools the levels of toxic metals and whatever else mining has done to it kills the fish. The closer to George town you get the better the fishing unless you like catching fingerlings.

17. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I already told you what is the likely cause of the toning. It is the piece of paper inside the flip. When you allow air flow by exposing part of the coin, the sulfur from the paper will cause the toning layer to form. The same result happens if forget to replace and acetate slide in a Dansco ablum. I purchased the Barber Quarter shown below as a blast white coin which I knew had been dipped. I stored it in a Dansco album and accidentally forgot to replace the obverse acetate slide. Six months later, and viola!

[​IMG]

The obverse developed a peripheral secondary toning while the reverse which had it's slide intact remained untoned. Additionally, I had other blast white coins stored in the same album that never toned at all because their slides were intact.

I don't know why that little piece of paper has such a high sulfur content, but if you remove it, I would bet that the coin will stop toning, assuming you are telling us all the relevant information we need to know about your basement conditions.

18. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Am i experiencing deja vu here? I couldve swore you already posted this coin once?
    I think it looked the best, in the 2nd and/or 3rd photos. That blue line that turned black doesnt make much sense either? Where is the emerald green? Ruby red?
    Also, why did that russet color essentially stay the same, unaffected through out the whole process????? Strange

19. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

That stuff is so 'white bread' it ain't funny..........

USS656 likes this.
  20. Pickin and Grinin

Wait a second @Lehigh96 I'd like to get this strait. You bought a coin that you knew was altered? Toned it in a Dansco. Then felt completely OK with attempting a strait grade? Are you ok with it being in a strait graded holder? Do you not consider, that toning altered?
    Does it reside in your possession, or, was it sold?

I started this thread with the intentions of showing the coin community how easy it is to add toning to a coin.
    Thanks for the help, not only showing an example that doesn't get a strait grade because of the technique. But a perfectly correct example of a deserving details slab, that was strait graded by the TPG's.

21. Pickin and Grinin

It did get deeper in color.

That black line has every color in the rainbow. All terminal deep tones.

Draft saved Draft deleted