This fits better here than anywhere else on the forum.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Pickin and Grinin, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I am presenting a sacrificial coin with exceptional toning. It is a coin that I happened upon, a bit over a year ago. I wish I had a mint state example showing the cameo, Sadly I didn't get to capture that state of this coin.

I am not sure if this fits into @Lehigh96 choreographs of what Natural toning looks like or not?

This hope full conversation is in conjunction with @GDJMSP thread on detecting AT.

Anyways, I found this coin at an antique store. Sitting just like it is in the Photo. IMG_4050.JPG IMG_4052.JPG Photos taken 9/09/2017
    As you can see in the photo with-in the perimeter lettering, reverse Terminal toning has begun.

If this conversation proceeds and is worth the time of the numismatic community I have progressive photos of this piece of silver and the toning/ environment it was subjected too.

Please spill your thoughts on any subject above. I learn best when I am subjected to different theory's. The photos of this evening will be eye opening. Just will come later in the thread.

@ddddd Franklin entry into an ongoing thread about MA and QC also fits this progression.

Here is the second progression. IMG_0001_2.JPG IMG_0002_1.JPG Photos taken 11/05/2017

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Okay, first things first, a little russet toning in NOT terminal.

As for the toning pattern/color scheme and its market acceptability, I think that most people would consider that toning to be questionable and I doubt that it would grade at either PCGS or NGC.

It is hard to tell from the photos but it looks like it is residing in a flip with a piece of paper to identify the coin. That piece of paper obviously has a sulfur content and is the source of the toning. Remove the paper, and you should be able to arrest any further advancement of the toning. If you don't like the toning, dip it, after all it is just a common modern coin with intrinsic silver value and very little numismatic value.

4. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Now THAT'S my cup of tea!

5. Pickin and Grinin

Correct there is zero intrinsic collector value. This happens to be only a subject coin. By the way a coin with that first color I would argue that it has the instinct to create terminal toning, If you give the thread a chance I will get there.:rolleyes:

6. Lehigh96

Please stop it!

"the instinct to create terminal toning" Wth is that supposed to mean.

Terminal toning is black, not light russet. And this is the second time that you have tried to change numismatic nomenclature.

Jaelus and 1916D10C like this.
  7. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Lehigh, could you atleast give someone else a chance to troll, er, i mean correct the OP?

8. Lehigh96

How ironic!

9. Pickin and Grinin

I actually haven't, when I show the photo taken today you will change your mind, But please don't go with this thread, looking to learn anything. You are a better opponent than that.:smuggrin:

10. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Whatever is causing it, it’s cool!

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  11. Pickin and Grinin

If I had an opinion as to why? I would say that it is the depth to the color, but this is why I started the thread. For Opinions, yours is greatly appreciated here.

12. Lehigh96

It doesn't matter what you have done to the coin, I am not going to change my mind to have the term "terminal toning" to include light russet toning found in photograph #1.

13. Pickin and Grinin

14. Pickin and Grinin

:rolleyes:

15. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

The way the toning follows the contour of the ocean bottom is cool. It's a colorful reef!

16. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

That seems a dramatic transition for two months time.

17. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I believe it is the lighting used.

18. Pickin and Grinin

This isn't the lighting. The coin exhibits the actual colors you see in the photo. And by the way I assisted this coin in it's transition. There wasn't any thing added nor heat applied. It stayed in the same conditions that the rest of my collection has been in for years.
    A cool, dry dark basement. And none of those coins have changed in appearance. I take that back the only coins I have seen change are my DC's and they are very mild. Mostly just deeper reds on the coppers.

Paddy54 likes this.
  19. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

@Pickin and Grinin - I'm not really sure where you're going with this, but I guess that doesn't matter as we'll find out soon enough.

Until then about the only comment I'd make is that I readily agree that the russet toning is no where near terminal. But that dark violet colored streak on the shark side, and on the bottom obv rim, well, if allowed to progress it will be terminal toning soon enough. And given what I think you're hinting at, it may even be so by now.

20. Pickin and Grinin

Although I do agree with you a light russet toning is not considered terminal. I believe if un treated it leads to a terminal stage in short time.

21. Lehigh96

Because you are giving it help!

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted