This eBay seller has an interesting concept of what constitutes a "better date".

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by lordmarcovan, Jul 27, 2017.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

His rule apparently is, "If I own it, it's automatically a better date".

1881-S Morgan dollar? "Better date"!

1922 Peace dollar? "Better date"!

There's 28 pages of this stuff!

Now, here's the funny part.

It's a "better date" even when the coin has NO DATE AT ALL! :banghead::facepalm::hilarious:

And yet I recently bought that love token half dime from them, because

1. It was cheap,
    2. It has my initial on it, and
    3. I had sent a message, politely chiding them over the "better date" nonsense, and made this a courtesy purchase (See? I'll give you a bid anyway, to prove I'm not being nasty about it.)
    The message got no reply. I got the coin in due time and will leave positive feedback for the smoothly completed transaction (though it might include a silly dig about the invisible "better date").

I figure the non-response to my message gives me license to poke a little fun. :p

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    mackat, CircCam, Theodosius and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I guess if you don't have one it's a better date.:eek:

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I have it and you don't, so it is better.

I'm better than you

Curtisimo and dwhiz like this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

They definitely are better when you're the one who owns 'em.

And, I know... it's eBay, right? But... geez, man.

Shoulda put some "L@@K"s and "LQQK"s in the titles, too, and used the word RARE a few times. (Maybe did, in some of the other listings.)

Theodosius, Seattlite86 and Curtisimo like this.
  6. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

That seller is well known on this forum. I've bought a few cheap things from him but another forum member had a really bad experience with him.

7. u812?

u812? Better-Known Member

I've heard that before.

8. u812?

u812? Better-Known Member

lordmarcovan, you better watch what you say to that seller. He/She will come to your house and whoop you up one side and down the other.....then no more lordmarcovan. :inpain: :( :mad:

9. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I'm surprised he (it's a he) didn't block you for your question.

10. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I bet he's got a newbie doing his eBay listing work and, not knowing when to use BETTER DATE in the title, and when not to, just leaves it there for all.

11. iontyre

iontyre Active Member

It's a better date because it was minted before 1860 when they moved the "United States of America" to the obverse and enlarged the wreath on the reverse. Just a guess.

12. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Most likely it's because the seller sells so many items it's a waste of time to edit each individual listing. Might as well leave the keyword spam in the title and see what kind of buyer bites. Tons of coin "enthusiasts" out there who have no idea what a better date should be...

13. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Give me a break, 1921 Morgan, scarce, better date?

14. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

The "Better Date" ranks right up there with the "Rare" designation for an 1881-S Morgan as well. Even the "Estate Find" really get's under my skin. Most of those listing's my OCD compels me to just skip right over. I mean, who cares if you found this coin at an estate sale? The supposed marketing gimmicks of "Better Date", "Rare", "Key Date", "Estate Find" are just ridiculous.

Theodosius, u812? and Seattlite86 like this.
  15. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Look at it this way....its a key word :D
    If someone does a random search it will probably get a hit.

Much like putting an item up for sale like a JEEP on the internet and using words like 4x4, trade, cash,gold,silver, machine guns, sale , rent, water, toys, estate, vintage, etc.
    It's sure to get hits when people search for a new washing machine,

16. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

In frustration, I bought a bunch of Washington 25¢ from him, since he had them at fair prices, in the grade I was looking for. I'm really happy with each of the coins, and his shipping was fast.

I think every coin seller on ebay is looking for an edge (which they should), so the 'better date' thing doesn't bother me. If it says it's a 'rare better date', but it isn't, and you as the buyer pay a huge premium for a '21 Morgan, then that's on the buyer, not the seller.

The one that gets under my skin, like @jtlee321 , is the 'Estate Find' listings. There is a particular seller that every single one of his listings is an 'estate find'. I don't care that it came from an estate sale, it sounds like you got it at a garage sale so you paid close to dirt for it, which makes me wonder how it was stored over the years (although it isn't that important), and, I don't believe that every one of his coins were an estate find (ie, I don't trust what he says). I always scan right past his listings.

My preferred are the seller that just say what the coin is, and maybe a grade assessment. I'll grade it myself, but at least it's a guide. Those sellers don't seem to call every coin the same adjective, which gives me a glimpse of what to expect if I click on it. Every seller that uses the phrase 'nice coin' or similar thinks all of their coins are 'nice' when in fact, their typically worn out or damaged.

But that's just me...

17. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

A 1922 Peace Dollar is a much better date than an 1822 for the simple reason it has a much higher chance of being genuine.

18. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

"Better Date" carries a certain numismatic connotation, and describing a 1921 Morgan as a "better date" in that context is a bald-faced lie. There may be as many 1921 Morgans still extant as all other Morgan issues combined.

19. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Not only BETTER DATE, most of them also are RARE!

Two for the price of one.:wacky:

20. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

You don't sell the product........you sell the idea. Snookerdom...........

21. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Or my personal favorite -"Don't sell the steak - sell the sizzle" ;)

green18 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted