This coin may be cleaned... Any opinions?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Colby Abele, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Colby Abele

Colby Abele New Member

I am almost sure that this Bust 1817 Half Dollar (O-106) is cleaned. The Appearance is dull, and smooth. I also see a sort of "Sparkle" at the right angle. (guessing dipped) I need to know how the value will be affected with a coin in this condition? Or is it even worth sending in to get reslabbed, or even trying my luck with a dealer.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

It looks dipped, so you gotta ask yourself, why did they dip it? It probably made it look better. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time with it but that's just me. :D

4. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

It may be just me, but I’m not inclined to believe that any coin coming out of a basement slabbing service is not a problem coin.

5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Someone's nose is growing.... 07a684ca3c9135c4021d0ed6052b30a7.png
    Now what story is this one ....purchased on ebay,? Or purchased for face value at a yard sale?

6. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Neither! This particular NNC 1817 O-106 was inherited and given to him by his uncle’s cousin, who happens to be butler to the Grand Duke of Luxembourg whose great great grandfather was given this half dollar in 1799 by John Adams himself, 18 years before it was supposedly minted!

7. Paddy54

I'll wait for the movie...better yet HBO or Show Time.....

8. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Owned by a little old lady, and only cleaned on weekends.

9. Paddy54

To put in the collection Plate at church...God bless!

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

From Pasadena, who owned a 'super stock Dodge'.......

11. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Then she gave it to him as a graduation present, for finishing last in his class.

wxcoin, okbustchaser and green18 like this.
  12. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Dipped for sure. I’d call it au 50-53. I’d try the paper envelope trick for a couple years and see how it looks

13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Dipped too long. Low AU range.

14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Best to leave as is. Certainly not worth the fees.

15. Colby Abele

Colby Abele New Member

you guys are all wrong. I am George washington himself.

16. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Then you’ve known Doug for 275 years

17. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Yes, I have done that, and it has often worked. In my experience it takes five or six years, but that’s how the toning got there in the first place.

buckeye73 likes this.
  18. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Fun thread...... However in all seriousness, aren’t these old bust halves expected to have been given a cleaning? Granted, this appears pretty fresh. But I thought it was somewhat expected that earlier generations of collectors would clean these old halves.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  19. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I try to make the point, but some people refuse to listen. There is a difference between cleaning and dipping. Cleaning involves moving the surface metal around, which often damages the coin from a market perspective. Dipping involves removing a very small amount of oxidized metal from the surface. In the best cases, it results in virtually an imperceptible change. Dipping can result in cleaning if it is done for too long or too many times.

The current coin could go either way. The photos are shot at and angle, and photos can never be a better substitute for a personal examination.

Sardar, Seattlite86, wxcoin and 4 others like this.
  20. Paddy54

Oh you'll pay for that remark lol:hilarious:

21. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It would be great to see images shot flat to the lens. That would give us a better idea about the coin. What's going on at 12 o'clock on the obverse? Scratch or die crack?

Draft saved Draft deleted