this coin looks different

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Russell Kinder, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Russell Kinder

Russell Kinder New Member

I'm not sure if I'm seeing things or I need glasses but this point doesn't look right anybody help me out with this

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Lesson #1 from CoinTalk - "different" is an adjective that will bring you nothing but derision. "Different" is a nullity. "Different" is a tautology. (All coins are unique.) "Different" is IRRELEVANT.

"Different how" is closer, but still no good. Only a very few forms of "different" matter, or ever have.

Well over 99.9% of all coins that are "different" and appear here are "damaged" and have zero numismatic value or interest. You'd do well to purge the word "different" from any part of your vocabulary when discussing coins. It simply doesn't play.

4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It is a normal nickel that has environmental damage from moisture and chemicals likely from being partially or completely in contact with soil. The chemicals attacked the surface. since this coin is a mixture of copper and nickel, the copper will react more than the nickel and roughness occurs. Jim

Oldhoopster and V. Kurt Bellman like this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Looks like a beach Metal Detected Nickel.
    The sand affected its surface.

I dumped hundreds of them I detected over the years into a Coinstar machine recently. Probably making their way back into circulation little by little :confused:

Hoky77 and Oldhoopster like this.
  6. V. Kurt Bellman

Again, ..... YOU'RE the guy.

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Oh great Paddy. Every time one pops up it'll be on CT as an error. lol

Hoky77, TyCobb and paddyman98 like this.
  8. V. Kurt Bellman

"Like sands off the nickel face, so are the Days of Our Lives..."

9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I am also guilty of dumping coins. But mine have included a lot of wheat cents and buffalo nickels that were ruined. What else to do with them. If you are on the east coast you may also find some doubled die errors from 2009 Lincolns that were marked up by the coin rollers. No good sitting in a jar.;)

V. Kurt Bellman likes this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

@tommyc03 What do you do with them? Make coin jewelry of course. :)

tommyc03 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted