This article makes me sick to my stomach..

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

Whoever wrote it did no research..

http://awm.com/go-check-your-change...her-2/?utm_medium=partners&utm_source=trancos

-------------------------------------------------------------

"Just two years before WWII ended, steel pennies were printed in 1943 to conserve copper for war efforts. They’re now worth $10 each."

They refer to minting as "printing", *cringe*

Half dollars with Benjamin Franklin’s face printed from 1948 to 1963 are worth $125 each now.

Really? Says who?

Silver quarters. Yes, get lucky enough to find one of these printed between 1932 and 1964 and you’ve got a coin worth $65.

mac266, noname and paddyman98 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Also, they imply there's a branch mint in Kansas.

I'll buy some silver Washingtons and see if the publisher will buy them for $30 each.

mac266 likes this.
  4. Joe2007

Joe2007 Well-Known Member

A believe there was a thread a few months back on this particular article. Comedic gold ....... oh well, maybe it will inspire a few new collectors.

mac266 likes this.
  5. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Until they come to a place like this and we tell them the truth. Where do you suppose all those new members thinking their Machine Doubling is worth thousands of dollars come from? Articles like that.

6. Joe2007

Joe2007 Well-Known Member

Yeah your probably right, but at least it gets the younger generation to look at and learn about coins, momentarily at least. My generation is too buried in social media and electronic gizmos, it would be a nice change. Unfortunately in this modern world we live in, greed is about the only thing that motivates people so the author is pressing the right buttons at least in that sense.

7. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

The "D" mint mark isn't that for Dodge City:banghead:

micbraun likes this.
  8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The comments left by the readers on the bottom are funny though.. some are serious and some are just as dumb as the article! :facepalm:

mac266, Mojavedave and Markus1959 like this.
  9. More internet dreck. Don't believe everything you read (especially online).

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I thought it was for Detroit. Carson City is in Kansas.

Chris

dwhiz likes this.
  11. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

172K likes...amazing!

12. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

FWIW, guys like me don't use Facebook. ;)

13. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I *almost* got into the Comments, but chose more wisely. :)

14. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Crap like this certainly doesn't help, but neither do books, written by acknowledged experts, that press things like, oh, striking it rich with pocket change. It is unfortunate that it has to come from all angles, including within.

Draft saved Draft deleted