This arrived today

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Silverfinger©, May 1, 2020.

1. More than happy with this that arrived today, its a 1937 Dated Czechoslovakian 20 Korun coin made of .700 silver, this coin was made for one year only and commemorates the life and death of the then President.
    Its a quite large coin at 34mm wide.
    Only 1 million were minted and I think that is quite low for a circulating commemorative coin.

DSCN2813.JPG

DSCN2815.JPG

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

Czech coinage is definitely underappreciated; I'm working on finishing my own Dansco Continental set. What's nice is that, as the collector base is thin, the pieces tend to be relatively affordable!

cmezner, Maxfli and Silverfinger© like this.
  4. Thats so true, and also there is still a lot of them about still in good condition , about 2 weeks ago I picked up this beauty, love the design of them.

DSCN2790.JPG
    DSCN2791.JPG

5. QuintupleSovereign

I hate to say it, but there's nothing like a Nazi occupation and war to halt the production and circulation of silver coinage...

6. Something that gets me though is why the nazis didnt confiscate all this coinage and melt it down for their war machine, some of the last weapons bought by them from Spain, the Spanish would only take gold or silver as payment for them, they didnt want Reichsmarks because they knew the war wasnt going that well.
    And it surprises me the high % of silver in the nazi era 5 Reichsmarks coins, 90%, pretty high really I reckon for a country gearing up for war, most countries WW2 and back if planning for a war would stockpile precious metals long beforehand to finance it.

Jason Hoffpauir likes this.
  7. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Very nice. I have the same coin. Never got around to photographing it, but here are the seller's pics. An acetone bath got rid of the haze. A very pretty UNC coin.

[​IMG]

I visited Prague a couple of years ago and was impressed with their modern coinage too, particularly this one. For a rather small country, the Czechs punch above their weight, numismatically speaking.

[​IMG]

coin_nut, cmezner, john65999 and 3 others like this.
  8. This arrived today, only took a week and a half 1st class :rolleyes:

Its a Uruguay 20 Centismos coin made in 1942 out of .720 silver.
    This coin was minted one year only in 1942 along with a 1 Peso silver coin,
    18 million were minted at the Santiago mint, so not a rare coin but I hardly ever see them for sale here in the UK, and most have had a hard life.
    Quite a small coin, the size of a UK Sixpence

DSCN2823.JPG

DSCN2821.JPG

9. Won this date run of mint condition Netherlands 25 Cents .640 silver coins, I only wanted one example of this coin but I won all of these for a very low bid, going to keep one (1940) and sell the other two.
    1941 was the last year that the Netherlands minted their own silver coins when the nazis invaded and stripped the country of anything of value, after this date they were minted by various mints in the USA for use in their colonies.

Production figures for the three coins are as follows

1939, 4,000,000
    1940, 9,000,000
    1941, 40,000,000

DSCN2826.JPG

DSCN2827.JPG

10. QuintupleSovereign

I assume that the post-war silver coinage was coined once again in the Netherlands, though, right?

11. Yes that's right, the last USA made ones were in 1945, you can tell where a Netherlands coin was made from its privy mark, Netherlands made ones had things like grapes, seahorses, a halberd, US ones had a palmtree, though on the smallest coins this looks like a wonky T, silver coins were continued for circulating currency mainly for the higher denominations after the war.

George McClellan likes this.
  12. Some more coins arrived today that I won in auctions, all of them show varying degrees of lustre still but its not showing in the pictures.

First up is this 1943 British India 1/2 Rupee made from .500 silver, there is several different types and two makers of this coin in 1943 alone, I think this one is the Bombay Mint, long edge teeth variant.

DSCN2830.JPG
    DSCN2831.JPG

Next is a 1936 Swedish 2 Kronor, made from .800 silver, these coins were made with an unchanged portrait from 1910 to 1940

DSCN2832.JPG
    DSCN2833.JPG

And finally a 1932 French 19 Francs made from .680 silver, this coin was made from silver from 1929 to 1939.

DSCN2835.JPG

DSCN2836.JPG

Jaelus and Jason Hoffpauir like this.
  13. These coins arrived today, I am more than happy with the two United States Philippines ones, much better than they looked in the pics, with lots of lustre which is hard to capture in the pics.

First is two British 1 Shilling coins made of .500 Silver, there is two version here, the Scottish (left 1939) and English (right 1945)

Mintage's as following

Scotland 1939 10,263,800
    England 1945 15,143,400

DSCN2839.JPG

DSCN2837.JPG

And finally the two United States Philippines 1944 dated coins, both made from .750 silver, the pictures dont do these justice, lots of original lustre on both of these, production figures below,

1944 dated 10 Centavos 31,592,000
    1944 dated 20 Centavos 28,596,000

DSCN2841.JPG

DSCN2842.JPG

14. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Love those coins! They truly have some nice designs!

Silverfinger© likes this.
  15. This arrived today and a bargain buy, can't seem to show the lustre on this one today in the pics.
    Its a British 1937 dated 3 pence, made from .500 silver, this style of coin was minted from 1937 when King George V was crowned until 1945, most of 1945's production being melted down.
    8,148,100 million being produced in 1937 alone.
    Its now my smallest lightest coin in my silver stack

RSCN2846.JPG

DSCN2849_01.JPG

RSCN2848.JPG

Bambam8778 likes this.
  16. This arrived today, a 1937 dated, Austrian 2 Schillings, made from .640 silver.
    In the 1930's Austria seemed to release a circulating commemorative silver coin each year, until the nazi's invaded and replaced their currency with their own reichsmarks, this one celebrates the 200 year anniversary of the St Karl church.
    I could tell that this was a nice coin underneath the dirt, toning and PVC slip green, came up lovely with some MS70.

Before cleaning

DSCN2855.JPG
    DSCN2856.JPG

Half way there showing the difference, none of my coins go for grading.

DSCN2857.JPG

DSCN2858.JPG

And finished

DSCN2859.JPG

DSCN2860.JPG

cmezner, Bambam8778 and Maxfli like this.
  17. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Nice one. Austria has produced some interesting commemoratives.

18. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

I love those coins. I really wish the U.S. would change it up more than they have been. I know it's happening in regards to the state quarters and such but these are some truly nice looking coins!

19. Its a Czechoslovakian 20 Korun, 1933 dated and made from .700 silver.
    This coin has three blokes on the back holding hands and one of them has his todger out ! , apparently they are supposed to symbolise Industry, Business and Agriculture, not some sort of gay pride.
    The J.H on the reverse was the initials of the engraver Jaroslav Horejc
    This coin is quite large but thin, the size of a 1oz bullion but weighs only 12g.
    It was minted for two years only in 1933 and 1934, production figures are as follows,

1933, 2,280,000 made
    1934, 3,280,000 made

DSCN2888.JPG

DSCN2889.JPG

cmezner likes this.
  20. These are 1943 dated Canadian 10 Cents and 25 Cents, both made from .800 silver, the Canadians used higher grade silver in their coins long after the UK had gone to 50% and were still using silver when the UK had stopped using silver altogether.
    The 10 Cents coin featured a famous sailing boat called the Blue Nose, this ship was built as a duel fishing and racing vessel and won many races, it was built in Canada in the 1920's and was wrecked in 1946.
    The 25 Cents (or quarter dollar) coin featured a Caribou on the reverse, more commonly known as a Reindeer, Canada's coins feature lots of their national wildlife and still do.
    Production of the two coins for their specific years are as follows.

10 Cents 1943 dated, 21,143,229 minted

25 Cents 1943 dated, 13,559,575 minted

DSCN2895.JPG
    DSCN2896.JPG

Jaelus likes this.
  21. Managed to get hold of probably my most favourite coin design of any coin in the era I am collecting and my first Hungarian coin, a 1938 dated, 2 Pengo made from .640 silver.
    I love the angels flying carrying the Hungarian crown onto its shield and the Mary and Jesus on the other side.
    This coin was made from 1929 to 1939, some years in between it wasn't produced and other years extremely low production, 1938 was the most common year of production with 6,417,000 minted, I hardly see any of these for sale and when I do most are well circulated, I have read that they were melted down to help fund the war effort in buying weapons from the axis and also that the soviets confiscated them but I don't know if either or neither is true, @Jaelus do you know the reason at all (plus I want to show you my first Hungarian coin).

DSCN2917.JPG

DSCN2920.JPG

DSCN2911_01.JPG

cmezner, john65999 and Jaelus like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted