This aluminum sliver I found, pawnshop says it’s worth up to $1,000?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Maserati27, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

@paddyman98 On another question in relation to the known error (ignoring the OP) ... How do these type of errors get out in the public?
    It won't fit in a dime roll and would get rejected by coin counters.

paddyman98 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Nice job Paddy.
    I guess he did find it... on the internet!!!
    Lucky he had PCGS encapsulation equipment, "display thingy" laying around.

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I can think of a few ways. Most of the time they are found in Mint Sewn bags. I have purchased errors that have been found in mint bags. And probably they get out of the Mint by management staff. Even though I have no proof.

Johndoe2000$ and Clawcoins like this.
  5. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

You’ve been PADDYMANNED!

I’m going to COIN that term... get it.

I’ll show myself out :-(

6. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Agree with Paddy. The legit way is via mint bags, and the illegal way is when
    people (probably take them out of the trash, as they are to be destroyed) and
    smuggle them out of the mint.

7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Also ignoring the OP, I would imagine this was snuck out. The destruction of the feeder finger would have been noticed early on and a search likely would have been initiated by quality control for the part. At least this should have been the process.

8. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Don't worry about it, he's been dumped!

tommyc03 likes this.
  9. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

I believe this error could have easily made its way out of the mint without assistance.

First, you would be surprised how screwed up a machine can become before it is noticeable. Unless it is a catastrophic failure, machines can generally continue running with all sorts of mechanical issues (and be making parts w/n tolerance). Stopping machines is highly frowned upon. If the machine is not making parts, production is being lost. I imagine feeder fingers losing metal is par for operation. That is why they are made of aluminum. They become damaged instead of objects they grind against. If they didn't regularly become damaged they would be made of a more sturdy metal. I believe that feeder finger damage is normal machine wear and would only be noticed (and cause a stop of operations) if the finger becomes damaged to the point it quits feeding the machine or the machine begins putting out bad parts.

Second, nobody is checking every single part that comes off a machine at this volume unless there is a contractual obligation to do so. This is normally only done for Just In Time orders. When the buyer needs the part perfect because it will be used immediately upon receipt- bad parts will result in terminal failures.... like jet engine components and car motor parts. Nobody is going to spend that sort of money to inspect non-critical components because the only way to 100% check parts is to pay people to check the parts.

Evan Saltis, RonSanderson and -jeffB like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted