Thinking about Walker Half collection...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by dimeguy, Jan 10, 2021.

1. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

I have recently been contemplating beginning a Walker Half collection. I know I am working on cents now but I also know I will become bored or need a break from looking at copper (admittedly, I am getting to that point) and it is nice to have a silver set to work on as well when such time comes.

I didn't know if anyone had any recommendation for reference material such as sites or books? I know Red Book makes a "Complete guide to Mercury Dimes, Standing Liberty Quarters and Walking Liberty Half Dollars," though unsure how good it is for history and tips of grading.

My series collecting strategy up to this point is to have coins of all similar grade within the series. I don't think this is feasible for this series, and admittedly this is a little frightening being outside of my comfort zone. I am just not sure how the series will look with some being G, some XF, some MS, etc. It might be nice to see an eclectic set representing all sorts of grades, but then again I can see my obsessiveness detouring from enjoying the overall set. Any thoughts and insights on this style of collecting would help as well.

Lastly, and I know have asked for much already, tips on grading? I have been looking at several and from my guess the midline vertically on the obverse from head to mid skirt would be high points and likely to wear first as is eagle head and breast on reverse, correct? I always like to look at several coins and determine if I can see the mechanics of the coin. I feel the grading comes easier if I can recognize how they are handled and used, especially for lightly struck series. I know the coin is designed to circulate so I know high points are likely to wear first, but if I am wrong in how I am looking at the series please let me know. Again, any tips would help.

You guys have always been a great resource in my collecting history and appreciate any feedback. Thanks again!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Many of your decisions will really depend on your budget. If I had a modest amount to spend on walkers I'd shoot for MS on the mid-1930's up and lower grades for earlier and especially key dates (1916S, 1921P, D, and S). Just remember it's not a bad idea to buy the keys first then take out the common dates. This just happens to be a series where some dates will command a significant premium in MS as opposed to common dates.

Grading walkers in MS is much more difficult than other coins of that era IMO. They are notorious for weak strikes and it can be tough for the untrained eye to tell from wear to weak strike. The prime focal areas on the obverse is Liberty's torso from the knees to the breast. The hand is usually your key to determining a weak strike.

From what I have heard, the complete guide to walking liberty half dollars by Bruce W Fox is your go-to book for walkers. I see one on Ebay for $80.

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Just a thought. You could start with just the coins from the 40's. I think folks used to call it the short set. The prices of AU thru MS63 are not that much. After that you could start with the 1930's in maybe XF. That's the way I went about it.
    Be really picky. There are plenty of Walkers out there to build a matching set.

green18 and YoloBagels like this.
  5. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

It is a bad idea in that you are going after the most expensive coins before developing an eye for quality or an idea of how you want your collection to look. Mistakes with the expensive coins are very costly compared to mistakes with the cheap coins

okbustchaser likes this.
  6. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

I guess I have an affinity toward weak strike coins as I went from Franklins to Peace Dollars to Walkers. I am not afraid of those of weak strikes. I just like to recognize wear patterns and strike qualities (why I thought a book may be nice). I think I then can find a greater eye for what I want my Walkers to look like. I think it is just going to take exposure...seeing multiple coins of different grades. Thank you for the book recommendation and I will take a look!

7. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

That I a really nice idea and perspective that I have not considered. Thanks for the idea and I will certainly consider it! I am also strongly considering "best I can afford." I would love an XF set to match the sister Mercury Dime set I have, but if I do "best I can afford" I can always downgrade or upgrade later if I just cannot tolerate the inconsistency of grades.

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Walkers? Worthy and wonderful. Have at it old friend. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted