Thinking about submitting this 1904-O Morgan for grading. What do you think it will grade?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Apr 10, 2015.

1. frostyluster

frostyluster Member

It was struck like that. A typical New Orleans weak strike. There is still full luster evident over the hair on the ear, and that means it is not worn. I would grade it MS-63+, because although scratchwise it is a 63 at best, the toning and astounding luster bump it up to a 64. However, the weak strike and the fingerprints in the left obverse field make the grade no higher than 63+.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Shine and luster are two different things. Which do you mean?

What affects the OP's coin the most are the marks on the cheek, chin, eyelid and nose. This is the prime focal area and no amount of luster can change this.

That is not wear above the ear. That is the result of a weak strike. The 1904-O is known for a weak strike, and you'd have to look at a lot of them to find one with a sharp strike in this area.

Chris

Morgandude11 likes this.
  4. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I'll use my dremel and buff out the bag marks on the cheek before I submit it. LOL just kidding. She'll probably just stay in the airtite. Just wanted to get your opinions before contemplating sending it in or not.

Argenteus Fossil and JPeace$ like this.
  5. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

@jtlee321 , IMO, it's always nice to have a nice raw coin from a series I collect to pick up and look at vs. the larger percentage of them being in their plastic tombs! I think you're making a good choice by keeping it raw.

6. jtlee321

Thanks. The big thing I don't like about slabbed coins, is you can't physically hold the coin in your hand.

7. jtlee321

I paid $52.00 for her based on the grey sheet between MS 62 and MS 63.

8. Bill1517

Bill1517 Active Member

it's a lusterous little devil....I'd say 62

9. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

10. 712

712 Constatutionalist, U.S.N. Viet Nam vet 66'

Maybe 60 or 61 with the huge thumb/fingerprint on the obverse, never past 63. Eye appeal on the obverse is not good with the print, rub it off and it goes to details, reverse has a very weak strike. PCGS has a value of $58 at MS62. Put it on eBay you might get more and put your money into a better coin.......IMO

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    swamp yankee likes this.
  11. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Congrats on the nice find! Too bad about the nicks but looks about 63-65 to me.....

Draft saved Draft deleted