Thinking about submitting this 1890 Morgan for grading. What do you think it will grade?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Apr 10, 2015.

1. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I have a couple of Morgan's that I have picked up and have been thinking about submitting them for grading. What are your thoughts? Worthwhile or not?

Here is the first, it's an 1890 Philadelphia. It has a very nice champaign tone to the obverse and appears to be a mid MS. I'm thinking the MS 64 range. Again your opinions would be appreciated. I have some high resolution photos and videos to show the luster.

1890 Obverse.jpg 1890 Reverse.jpg

talkcoin and tommyc03 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Too much chatter for 64....63

swamp yankee likes this.
  4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm thinking 63. Nice coin.

swamp yankee likes this.
  5. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

58 or 64.
    EDIT
    I didn't do a closeup initially.
    I'm backing up to maybe 63 or 55.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  6. Wheatmaster101

Wheatmaster101 U.S. Cent Collector

Don't think it is worth grading... And the big scratch beside the nose was the first thing to catch my eye.

7. Wheatmaster101

Wheatmaster101 U.S. Cent Collector

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Even at MS64, it wouldn't be worth the costs for grading. Try to find one raw that would grade MS65, which is worth more than 15 times the value of an MS64.

Chris

JPeace$ likes this.
  9. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

63. Too many marks for a 64.

10. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Nice catch by @Wheatmaster101 on the scatch.

I think the coin would go 64 if the scratch isn't a scratch and just the result of another coins contact with the area.

I also agree with @cpm9ball about grading this particular coin. I'd keep it in an airtite and look for a graded 65.

11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Why look for a graded 65? It would cost way too much. Look for one raw where the seller thinks it is a lower grade.

Chris

swamp yankee and superzimm like this.
  12. thejaxcollector

thejaxcollector Active Member

13. frostyluster

frostyluster Member

I think a tpg would go MS65, because the cheek is extraordinarily clean. The chatter in the fields would hold it back from a 66. In the video kindly provided by jtlee321,
    the scratches by the nose are hardly noticeable, and in my opinion are not serious enough to warrant a 63 grade to an otherwise awesome coin.

14. frostyluster

frostyluster Member

P.S: If you are uncertain about its grade, I wouldn't have it graded. 1890 is a fairly common date, and not worth the cost to get it certified unless you get a 64 or higher.

thomas austin likes this.
  15. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Because my reading comprehension sucks when multi-tasking....lol. I didn't take the time to fully read your response.

In addition to searching for an under valued raw coin, he might try playing the crack out game with a 64.

cpm9ball likes this.
  16. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

MS 63. Nose area scratch, plus chatter in left hand obverse fields. Also noticeable nick on neck near cleft in the neck. All of these are significant enough for it not to be worth sending in.

17. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Well, I rescued her from a pawn shop about a year ago for $30.00

talkcoin and JPeace$ like this.
  18. 712

712 Constatutionalist, U.S.N. Viet Nam vet 66'

19. talkcoin

talkcoin Well-Known Member

Nice ms64...the chatter so close to the nose IMO makes it a C for the grade but still a 64. Nice pawn shop save and since your only in for $30, I say get her slabbed ;)

20. superzimm

superzimm Well versed collector

I agree with Kanga.....-58 or maybe a -63. I tend to think there's actually a bit of wear on the obverse.

21. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

There is no wear on the obverse. There are bag contact marks from storage on the obverse, which are extremely common for virtually ALL but the most high grade Morgan Dollars. The coin is uncirculated--I said 63, and I stand by it. If one knows Morgans, bag marks are a way of life.

Draft saved Draft deleted