Thinking About Starting a Coin Club

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Neptune, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Neptune

Neptune & Amphitrite

I live kind of 'near' an almost major city. There is one little coin shop - the owner used to be in charge of coin club, but quit because nobody wanted to help him. Twice I have asked him if there is a local coin club, and twice he told me no - years apart, because nobody wants to take on any responsibility.

Here's my thoughts. Since I really don't like to travel "to town" (alot because I live kind of in boonies) - I was thinking of starting a coin club for this area - online.

Since I am relatively new to this hobby - I don't have a 'whole' lot of expertise to offer - except I could open the door for those in the area to "find each other" - and maybe assist in planning meetings, emailing, getting organized etc. I figure eventually somebody with real expertise may "show up" to assist me. (Maybe, willing to give it a shot and at least try.)

Just wanted to throw this out there for your opinions - good or bad. I would really like to get to know some other folks around here to share coin info with - and there just doesn't appear to be much at all.

This is just something that I am mulling around with - not sure if I really want to do this - or not - Any advice welcomed.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

Hi,
    I could help you with the building the website part of it. First step would be for you to get a domain, if you want, or you could use a subdomain I could provide. Send me a PM if you're interested.
    Peter

Cheech9712 likes this.
  4. chrisfuccione

chrisfuccione Member

From what I 've been reading these online forums are like a coin club. But if you want to go further count me in for any help. Chris

5. Neptune

Neptune & Amphitrite

Thanks everyone for your inspiration. Still meditating on this, and probably will for awhile. It is something I would love to do, just trying to determine if time allows now - or later. Certainly don't want to jump head first into something without thinking it over and deciding which route, if any, to take.

It's true, these forums are like coins clubs somewhat - and I truly enjoy them.

What is a subdomain and how much does it cost. I had researched domains awhile back, but forgot now what they go for as well. And then you the monthly fees also, right?

Well think I am going to sort a few coins for awhile. Thanks again for your offers. Will certainly keep them in mind! :D

6. Jess

Jess Senior Member

For what its worth, I belong to 2 on-line coin clubs. One on MSN and one on Yahoo. Each sends an email occasionally with meeting information and no one shows they leave messages in the forum. Some leave pictures. It is just like this forum which is the best I belong to, no one uses the chat room. We could have a meeting right out of this forum. Start a club within a forum, of course we would have to clear it with the moderator and owner.

7. laz

laz New Member

on line coin clubs

I have a little experience in this area,and would recommend MSN Groups for any new club.I must point out,in order for any coin club to take off,you need to be dedicated to it.It'll take alot of time and effort.Without that drive,you'll just have another disused club room. Check out our latest U.S.Coin Collecting forum....~ Jim
    http://groups.msn.com/USCoinCollecting/_whatsnew.msnw

8. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

Yes, this is exactly what I could offer here on Cointalk. It is very easy for me to set up a special section for a particular coin club. We can make a section that is invisible to everyone but members, a section that is visible but can be read only by members, a section that is visible and can be read by anyone but only posted by members, or an open to all section.

We can also do something like http://yourcoinclub.cointalk.org at no charge. My hosting company sells domains at $8.95 per year (can't give those for free, though).

Peter

Cheech9712 likes this.
  9. BCoinshooter

BCoinshooter New Member

When & If The Time Comes.. Count Me In!

This would be a great idea, you've got this new member's vote :D

10. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

Live and in Person

I guess my preference is for a real club. You can meet people online and I do that, as we all do.

Even so, I value the interpersonal interactions of being in a room with real people.

With a coin club, even when it is going great guns, you might get half of the members to show up for any given meeting. Websites and newsletters are important tools for keeping in touch with your straying lambs.

A coin club is a lot of work for one person. Howver, neither can you wait until you find enough people dumb as you are to do their share of the work. My feeling is that it is sort of a "build it and they will come" kind of thing.

Patience helps. Years of patience, sometimes. After rebuilding the local club from scratch the president wanted to resign after three years. Well, he got to step down after four... because I came along as Veep and Newsletter editor... which worked ok for a while... then there was this vacuum... but as long as you maintain the momentum, the club can coast.

See in Rec.Collecting.Coins, Gary Lewis's request for "Out of the Box Ideas" for local coin clubs.

You can start a club with two other collectors meeting you at the local Big Boy. You don't need torchlight parades to have a successful organization.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Despite Peter's generous offer - it might be far easier to just join a club that is already up and running. There are several. I would suggest examing these clubs and finding one you like. I might suggest WINS - http://www.winsociety.ws/links/links.html

WINS has a worldwide membership with the majority of the members being in the US. They conduct their own private auctions and they also have a trading network. Members can submit articles for the monthly newsletter as well as bio's so that members can get to know one another.
    Check it out.

Draft saved Draft deleted