Thinking about purchasing these coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by NLL, Aug 21, 2018.

1. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

The first coin is a Hadrian AE Sestertius Neptune reverse for 20 dollars and the next coin is this Vespasian AR Denarius for the same price. Any thoughts on pricing of these coins? I like the looks of both of them and was wondering if these seemed like fair prices. Thanks for your time. Screenshot_20180821-025440-ccfopt.jpg Screenshot_20180821-025941-ccfopt.jpg

dlhill132, Curtisimo, Ryro and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

looks and sounds like a good deal.:)

4. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

I would pay the 40 for the Sestertius alone.

5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Everybody's budget and collecting goals are different and if you like them and want them, they are a fair price.

Personally, I like the denarius of Vespasian and would buy it for that price if I didn't already have this one in my collection. Like most coins issued during this prosperous era in Roman history, when commerce flourished and coins circulated for decades, it's well-worn. It may have still been in circulation during the reign of Trajan or Hadrian!

You'll notice, too, the Pax seated left and holding branch device on its reverse inspired coin-designers centuries later:

Trade_Dollar Obv and Rev.jpg

The denarius you're considering is well-centered and it has nearly full legends and it is fully attributable (RIC² 29). It has lovely cabinet toning, similar to that seen in coins in the British Museum Collection. Here's one of their examples of this coin:

00634428_001_l.jpg

Here's my example, if you're curious:

Vespasian COS ITER TR POT denarius.jpg

Johndakerftw, Bing, Orfew and 7 others like this.
  6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice coins. I would pay $50 or $60 for that Hadrian sestertius so I would pull the trigger on that one, it's a really good deal. I recently bought this Aurelius drachm of Alexandria (in fact it is my most recent purchase) for $50, which I thought was a good deal because it is a scarce/rare type.

aurelius.jpg

Johndakerftw, NLL, Bing and 2 others like this.
  7. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

I mainly collect roman bronze, the Hadrian would be a pass for me. The coin has poor eye appeal to me, however it is priced reasonably. I would not be happy long term with the coin, and I realized a long time ago that it's not worth buying coins I don't want to keep just because they are a good deal.

Svarog likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted