Thinking about making a ring with my favorite coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by HBrider, Jun 9, 2017.

1. HBrider

HBrider Member

It would be a great conversation piece, and a way to show interest in my hobby to others. And a way to have it on me all of the time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a lifetime issue of Alexander III. The detail and grade I think make it ideal for a ring, yet it's not a high enough of grade to where it should not be worn. It's XF. The size seems to be about right to be the face of a ring, maybe a little bit on the large size for my fingers. The diameter is almost identical to a US dime (but a ring bezel will increase it a little). It would be a heavy silver mens ring with a plain unadorned look. It would be a custom made job by a local coins and precious metal dealer who has been in business here for many years. Though I may take it to a jeweler also to see what they say and what price they give. It would look something like this:

[​IMG]

A couple of concerns are, markings caused from it being mounted that would devalue the coin. Increased chance of it being lost or stolen. The reverse of the coin being obscured. A stranger having my coin for a whole week. And it's being removed from the NGC slab which would probably affect its resale value, but I would be able to physically touch the coin which is nice. I suppose I could have it reslabbed if I fell on hard times and had to sell it. Making a ring would definitely be something I only do with one coin.

I also briefly considered making a pendant out of the countermarked Alexander that I made a thread about, but I decided its too big to be a pendant, and that I would wear and enjoy a ring more.

Has anyone done this? And if so, are you still happy with the decision?

gregarious likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. HBrider

HBrider Member

Are you saying that the coin would end up being destroyed? If so, please explain.

4. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

hey, it yours man.. do what you want with it.

5. gregarious

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2017
  6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

... said "Michael Vick"

=> the coins that I've seen that are "ex-jewelry" always have damage (usually damage from "restraints" or soldering)

*coins, MrDSmith, Svarog and 3 others like this.
  7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

My gloves would be itchy then.....damn fleas.

*coins, gregarious and stevex6 like this.
  8. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I'm with @stevex6
    I'm opposed to jewelry making out of any coins period. Modern or ancient.
    I could almost turn cheek to the moderns but what would a collector think 2,000 years from now. Supose that U.S Busted half was extremely rare because some jerk was making rings out of them, that's pretty much how I feel about rings made out of an ancient now.

9. gregarious

..i don't think he was high when he said that.. don't take offence, when you ask for opinions, expect blunt force.

sam_raph and Nerva like this.
  10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

For starters, it will most likely devalue your coin. I have a Julius Caesar portrait denarius that was once a jewelry piece and the notches where it was mounted are now permanent. You mention several reasons why one shouldn't mount a coin like this, but let me add another. I once decided it would be cool to make a necklace out of one of my silver denarius and I mounted it in a way where there would be no mounting marks. Within a year after rubbing against my skin, being washed in the shower, etc, the denarius showed significant wear. I mean significant to the point it was hardly identifiable. But like @gregarious said, it's your coin. Do what you want. We all have our opinions. They're like body orifices. We all have at least one.

Julius Caesar 7 a.jpg
    JULIUS CAESAR
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: CAESAR IMP, laureate head right, lituus & simpulum behind.
    REVERSE: M METTIVS, Venus standing left with Victory & scepter, shield resting on globe; control letter G to left
    Rome January-February 44 BC
    3.81g, 18mm
    RSC 34
    ex. Andrew McCabe
    plugged and ex-mount

BenSi, dlhill132, Curtisimo and 13 others like this.
  11. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Way to destroy an amazing coin. Hey, I know where you can get an original Ford Model A from 1936. Perhaps you can rip out the original leather and cover it with faux cheetah skin seats, and while you are at it why not turn it into a low rider?

Or better yet, I do have a 1964 Rado Green Horse Daymaster automatic watch, a very rare variant where less than 300 were made for that year, and only a dozen are known to exist. Perhaps you can purchase it and use if for hammer smaching practice, or swap the ultra rare automatic Felsa movement with a cheapo Chinese movement from a fake Rolex.

12. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

BTW @HBrider welcome to CT Ancients. You just happen to have hit a sore spot with most collectors. And yes, you have a beautiful coin as is.

BenSi, Curtisimo, Cucumbor and 4 others like this.
  13. gregarious

ahaha! humor injection right on time><

14. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

It is your coin...do what you want with it. However, do not expect people on a ancients board to approve of defacing a coin that has existed for more than 2 millennia.

To be blunt...it is a stupid, thoughtless, and narrow minded idea.

15. gregarious

what Bing said...

16. Nerva

Nerva Well-Known Member

It's certain to damage the coin. Don't do it. But especially don't do it with the countermarked coin. That one is really special and it would be a crime to diminish it by mounting and wear.

Andres2 and Smojo like this.
  17. HBrider

HBrider Member

Can someone show me examples of coins that have been significantly messed up from being in a ring? It doesn't seem like there is enough friction and movement between the clasps and the coin to do any serious damage.

For me it doesnt seem ridiculous to dedicate one ring to use in a more personal, enjoyable context. EVERY OTHER COIN won't be. It's not for investment. I have a Scottrade account for that. And I thought one of the perks to ancient coins is that they're more durable, and dont have to be handled with linen gloves.

18. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Before the mods destroy this thread I have to point out this comedy.
    He said
    Then he said

Obone, gregarious and Ajax like this.
  19. HBrider

HBrider Member

Some of u acting like im hammering a hole into an ides of march coin to make into a keychain for my laundry room key.

But I respect your reverence for the coins.

20. gregarious

to many here (most) it's about the same thing

Nerva likes this.
  21. gregarious

ahahaha! ...let's get ready to ruummmmmmmmmmblllleeeeeeeeee...

Smojo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted