Thinking about buying this 1828 large cent

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by manny9655, Mar 18, 2021.

1. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

The seller listed it as VG, Breen 1838. He's asking $30....what do you think? 1828 large cent.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. William F

William F Well-Known Member

I'd go for it. USACoinBook lists the value at around $27 in "average" coindition, I bought one a while back that was listed as G/VG for $34, it doesn't look quite as good as that one but I feel like I paid a fair price for it.

EDIT: just did a quick search for these online and most that were listed around VG were priced at a fair bit more than the one you are considering, here is just one example;
    https://store.ebwcoin.com/1828-coronet-head-large-cent-large-date-nice-vg/

TonkawaBill, capthank, GH#75 and 3 others like this.
  4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

looks like 28 N-11 an R-2 coin so not a rare variety. Detail is OK but it looks to me like the surfaces are rough and porous. Good seems to list for around $25 or so, so you would probably be into it near full retail or maybe a little high.

TonkawaBill and eddiespin like this.
  5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It's a high-side VG, so you're in the ballpark on the price, but you have to take care of that surface, as I agree with @Conder101, it already looks porous. Dry it out before you tuck it away. Get a little acetone going on it. It won't kill off COVID-19, but it will evaporate any moisture and retard any further corrosion.

6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Details are not bad, but the surfaces look less than ideal. I don't hate it, but I don't love it, either. I find it ... so-so.

TonkawaBill and masterswimmer like this.
  7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Who asked you? :D

8. lordmarcovan

I think the OP did. ;)

John Johnson likes this.
  9. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

looks good too me for 30 :D though i would make an offer of 25 just to fit in in the $20 LC set :D

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  10. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the responses. I looked at some of the other (circulated) large cent offerings this dealer had and several of them seemed overgraded. That's why I asked the question. The ones that were listed as Good, I would have said AG. I too find it so-so. I'll think about it...and, yeah, the surface seemed porous to me, too.

11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

If there's a redeeming quality about this one it's the ground it was buried in was on the arid side. That's why an acetone dunk is a must as a further precaution against any moisture it undoubtedly picked up from the atmosphere after it was freed. The wear is part ground as opposed to just circulation wear, too, a thing to keep in mind when he examines it in hand. I think he's going to see it's very high end VG; if there were an 11, it's that.

12. lordmarcovan

I reckon it isn't horrible if it could be had for 25 bucks or less. Personally, I'd probably look harder for a different coin in that price range, but yeah... you could do worse for the money.

Magnus87 likes this.
  13. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Try to look for a better one if you could its a bit pricey but not bad,your choice.

Magnus87 likes this.
  14. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

You should be able to find a smooth one in the price range. Almost any collector would prefer a smooth example, even if less sharp.

Magnus87 and AuldFartte like this.
  15. lordmarcovan

This. Yes.

16. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

$30 is the Greysheet price for straight graded VG. This one looks to be a bit rough. You can probably do a bit better for the price or perhaps a little more.

Magnus87 likes this.
  17. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I prefer a more smooth nutmeg brown example for a bit more money.

18. AuldFartte

AuldFartte Well-Known Member

With my LC collection, I always choose the smooth surface over the porous one. That example is definitely porous.

Magnus87 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  19. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

The asking price is exact at G4. If you like it buy it, but I would first make an offer. Good luck

John Johnson likes this.
  20. Southernman189

Southernman189 Well-Known Member

look at it and then go with your gut feeling, then smile if you made the "right" choice for you.

21. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

Where did the prices come from that is quoted? I only have a 2 year old Red Book and it says for a G-4 $25-$30. Not that I am wrong a lot, but I'm not much on a coin as rough shape as yours is. However, I've only been at this since 1996, when I inherited my father's "coin collection." I probably need to check other sources.
    Anyway, it is a nice coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted