Think this toner is worth $95

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by kazuma78, Sep 24, 2016.

1. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

I have a friend that has this mercury dime and it is graded MS67 (No FB). He is asking $95 and I want to know some other thoughts on it. I like the coin but I would appreciate some other opinions. Thanks!
    Merc1.png Merc2.jpg Merc3.jpg Merc4.jpg Merc5.jpg Merc6.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

Who graded it MS67? Have you seen the coin in hand?

4. kazuma78

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'm not a particularly big fan of that toning. Do you think that it is worth $95 at that grade?

Chris

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  6. kazuma78

I have one I got that was icg and very similar and crossed to pcgs. It was ms67 FB

7. kazuma78

Thats what I was wondering, though I sort of like the toning

8. johnmatt

johnmatt Well-Known Member

PCGS@ $70, Heritage @ $45-55. I like the toning. I'd probably pay full retail or a little more. Maybe offer him $75?

9. kazuma78

I already tried, he said 95 was the lowest he would take

10. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Beautiful coin in the right light; however, I'll guarantee that virtually every beautiful coin gets a little "bump" due to color at all the grading services.

EDIT: Seeing the price info above, I should pass. Tell him you'll give him $75-$80 if he ever needs to sell it. Then wait. When he finally agrees to sell, offer him $65! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

11. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

This specimen by the images you have posted is like a two face coin. Some of the images are nice others are dark. Trying to sort out the two in one's brain with out having the coin in hand and in a natural setting is hard to do.
    This sort of reminds me of a Seinfeld episode where his girl friend was two face.....in the natural light very doable,in the dimmer light pretty scary .

12. johnmatt

johnmatt Well-Known Member

1940-1945 Mercs in high grades
    have some of the best beauty per dollar ratio imho.

13. Paddy54

What images are truer in hand?

14. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

15. kazuma78

I'm thinking of getting it and if the toning is not great in hand I can send it back to him

16. kazuma78

I haven't seen it in hand yet

17. Paddy54

Ok not your images understood . I'm not sure from the images some look very nice color wise others aren't . A D I'm sure if imaged in the correct lighting it be a nice looking specimen .

Markus1959 likes this.
  18. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

If this coin was ATLEAST graded by Anacs, I would say yes..as I wouldn't be as iffy on grade being accurate.... I like it tho, seems like the luster would be much better in-hand, I'm not a fan of ICG, and I would have to see this one in-person, to spend $95....
    With that said , if it really IS deserving of the grade,(I can't really tell) then that is pretty good price imo

19. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

This is obviously only a guess, but I'd imagine this coin is quite dark in hand. And I have next to no experience with toners, but I'd wonder if PCGS would call it "questionable color"?

20. kazuma78

This was in an icg ms67 fb holder and I cracked it out and submitted it. Its now a pcgs ms67 fb. First try too. No Questionable color slab.
    33807676_large.jpg

jom, Garlicus, MercuryBen and 5 others like this.
  21. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I wouldn't presume to decide how much value you personally assign to toning, but you'd be paying double the usual retail for it. Assuming it's a righteous MS67.

If you're OK with that sort of assessment, then go for it. I would not, because too much of the value lies in the purely subjective enjoyment of the color. YMMV.

Draft saved Draft deleted