Think this Mercury Dime makes ms65?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by swagge1, Apr 18, 2012.

1. swagge1

swagge1 Junior Member

Merc Crazy should be receiving my coin today to take some high quality photos for all of us to see. Maybe he will be able to have them up soon.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Is or isn't it what?

4. areich

areich America*s Darling

Hello

Sign

Are the rods in the back a focal point or not.

Amanda

5. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Yes, the fasces, blade, and mintmark are the focal areas of the reverse of a Mercury Dime. This is not my opinion, it comes directly from THE PCGS OFFICIAL GUIDE TO COIN GRADING AND COUNTERFEIT DETECTION. After these, areas, next in importance are the open fields. All hits on the lettering and branches are least important.

6. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Thats nice.... but they are only focal in the center. I've seen numerous examples

7. Lehigh96

Ruben,

I don't think we are on the same page here. What do you mean only focal in the center?

8. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

If you have a nick between the bands or on a band, it will grade lower than if you have a nick on the top of the bottom of the reeding, especially if it only affects a single reed.

Ruben

9. Lehigh96

PCGS published standards indicate that the entire area is the focal area, but in practice, I bet you are right that hits on the bands are treated as an even more important focal area.

10. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I'm just going by what i observed and at one time i heavely shopped high grade mercs.

11. Yacorie

Yacorie Junior Member

Merc - have you taken any photographs yet?

12. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

We had some uh, drama, USPS style. But I went and picked it up at the Post Office today. I'll have pics up sometime tonight hopefully.

13. Merc Crazy

Quick pics I took;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Initial impression; Great coin. 65FB. Surfaces have nice luster and are semi-PL. The area to the left of IGWT is an issue, but should come off with proper conservation. I'd send it to NCS and on to PCGS.

14. swagge1

swagge1 Junior Member

WOW! These initial pics look great. Way better than anything I can even come close to with my equipment. The die polish marks from the chin to GOD even shop up well. I do have an ANA membership and sending it to NCS sounds like a good idea to me. Thanks for posting!

15. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

that mark of the rim is killing me

16. Merc Crazy

I think it could be removed safely, hence why I suggest sending it to NGC. Too valuable of a coin to fool with yourself... if it was a common BU non-FB merc, I'd leave that sucker in acetone for a week, then try to get it off with a toothpick... I'd also probably give it a quick dip to bring out more luster. But that's just me. :)

17. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

If it was a 1945 MS70FSB, then you would want to get it slabbed. You do have a nice coin. Any 1945 FSB needs to be slabbed.

18. swagge1

swagge1 Junior Member

I plan on getting it slabbed. It is Micro-s which commands a pretty strong premium if it is worthy of MS65 and FSB which, in my limitied opinion, I think it has a fair shot at.

19. Stang1968

Stang1968 Member

Is that PVC damage on that?

20. areich

areich America*s Darling

Hello

I don't know the grade but it is a very pretty coin.

Amanda

21. swagge1

swagge1 Junior Member

Thanks Amanda! Merc Crazy, are there any more pictures to come?

Draft saved Draft deleted