Think this Mercury Dime makes ms65?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by swagge1, Apr 18, 2012.

1. swagge1

swagge1 Junior Member

I didn't use flash. I'll remove from flip and try to get rid of that glare.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I could be wrong, but from what i see this coin is a AU 56.

Ruben

4. swagge1

swagge1 Junior Member

Attached Files:

5. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Your coin appears to have wear on the upper part of the hair on the obverse and a sratch on the cheek. Please get a better camera and re shot your photograph.

6. swagge1

swagge1 Junior Member

Now compare the above photos to these pics I took. I took the coin out of the 2X2. These are the best pics I could get.

Attached Files:

7. swagge1

swagge1 Junior Member

These are the last 3 pics. The pics in this thread are the best I can do with the equipment I have. Yes, I agree my coin has a bagmark, or scratch on the cheek, but so do the NGC and PCGS graded ones I posted above. Thats why I believe ICG probably got it right on being an MS65 FSB. Its from comparing my coin to numerous slabbed PCGS and NGC coins on ha.com.

Attached Files:

8. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Sweetie,

the slabbed dime has some surface markets. Yours has a bag mark, like a ding. Dimes are very sensitive. Things that yo can get away with on a Morgan, you can't get away with on a Merc.

9. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

BTW - you should be able to get a more expert opinion here than me. I have some knowledge, but we have truly expert merc people on this board.

Ruben

10. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

My original impression was MS65 FB. I have seen nothing in the new photos that would make me change my mind. However, your photos are not great and what I wanted to see with a full coin photo was the impression of the luster. I still don't have any idea what the luster of this coin looks like. As Merc Crazy noted earlier, if the luster is not good enough, it might preclude an MS65 grade even if the surfaces are of MS65 quality.

11. areich

areich America*s Darling

Hello

At least in these pictures, it does not look mint state.
    The first place a Liberty Head dime wears in the hair just below the cap and the upper wing area. It would seem from this picture, both areas have rub.

Amanda

12. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

merc.jpg
    Merc_obv3.jpg
    Merc_rev2.jpg

13. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Ya know what, I'll offer to take some pics of the coin for free, same quality as my own pics, if you want to send it to me. Your call, I'll do it free of charge if you pay shipping both ways. :)

I'll also give you my opinion on grade in-hand.

14. Lehigh96

I was going to make the same offer.

15. Lehigh96

Ruben,

I am not sure what you are trying to show but those two coins are not comparable. The 1942 is circulated, but nothing about the 1945-S screams circulated to me. The softness in the hair is weak strike not wear. As for the contact mark, one mark like that does not automatically preclude a gem grade. For a better comparison, take a look at this MS65 FB with a CAC gold sticker.

[​IMG]

There are several obvious contact marks on the focal area (fasces) of the reverse yet is considered a high grade MS65. There are luster grazes on the obverse as well. The significant difference between this coin and the OP's is luster. The grade of his coin is going to depend upon luster.

16. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

What, he only has one coin here, the 1945

17. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Paul - that coin nearly is full band on the reverse and front is a full wing. That is not soft strike, that is wear on the crown. Look at yours. Yours is much cleaner without any wear, and has a bag mark right on the cheek, and the rim dent. The graders aren't going to ignore that.

18. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What does this one grade...

19. areich

areich America*s Darling

Hello

I think you mixed up the 1942 and the 1945.

Amanda

20. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Eye-popping luster tells me thats prob a 67FB.

21. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

yes - but my point was it has a bag mark on the pole

Draft saved Draft deleted