Thieves are dumb

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by myownprivy, Feb 22, 2019.

1. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

https://news.yahoo.com/police-stolen-rare-coins-ended-change-machines-152417646.html

NORTH PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say a Florida man stole collectible coins worth tens of thousands of dollars, then ran them through grocery store change machines that returned just a fraction of their value.

The Palm Beach Post report s 20-year-old Shane Anthony Mele of Riviera Beach told investigators he stole the commemorative presidential dollar coins and other items from a North Palm Beach office in December.

The coins were worth $33,000. A Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office arrest report says Mele sold some coins for a few thousand dollars, and he ran many through change machines that only produced their face value.

Mele was charged Feb. 1 with grand theft along with unrelated drug charges. He was released Feb. 4 after posting bond. Jail records didn't show whether he had an attorney.

---
    But then again, so are collectors. Who would collect Presidential Dollar Coins?!?!?!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jafo50

jafo50 Active Member

You just can't make this stuff up.

Thanks for the laff

4. rte

rte Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="myownprivy, post:
    But then again, so are collectors. Who would collect Presidential Dollar Coins?!?!?![/QUOTE]
    So I collect Presidential Dollar Coins , are you trying to make me mad?

:p
    I think that you should cut me some slack....they were like $2 and come In graded plastic:rolleyes:
    By collect, I'm referring to they are in the box with the rest of the other coins.

It's a shame about that guys collection, probably not insured.

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  5. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Had me at "a Florida man". Why do so many odd news stories come from there?

Roman Collector likes this.
  6. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

So I collect Presidential Dollar Coins , are you trying to make me mad?

I don't collect Presidential Dollars except those included in Silver Proof sets and Mint sets. IMO I think it's a great way for those just entering the hobby. This would also apply to Clad coins as probably younger people as many probably don't have enough cash to purchase 1964 & previous coinage.

:p
    I think that you should cut me some slack....they were like $2 and come In graded plastic:rolleyes:
    By collect, I'm referring to they are in the box with the rest of the other coins.

It's a shame about that guys collection, probably not insured.[/QUOTE]

7. USCoinCollector42

USCoinCollector42 Well-Known Member

The whole 'Florida man' thing actually got so crazy that it became an internet meme. It's pretty hilarious how many of these stories come out of Florida alone...

Numismat likes this.
  8. As a floridian i can answer that question. In the 90s florida passed the "sunshine laws" in effect that any arrest is available to anyone walking into a police or sheriff dept and reading the daily blotter. So the wealthy cant even hide behind their money like robert kraft owner of the patriots. Many states don't offer the same so you don't hear about their crazy's....

9. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

I think the drugs explains it all.

...a 20-year old with his whole life ahead of him like a dark thundercloud.
    Hopefully he can turn it around.

10. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Ah, the frustration of running graded slabbed coins through a coin change machine.

:)

11. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, the guy's collection that was stolen was his nest egg for retirement, and he lost it all.

NEVER leave your collection at home or at your office.

phillipaanderson likes this.
  12. James D

James D New Member

And coinstar took off an additional 11% too........... As Bugs Bunny once said. "What a Maroon"!

13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

And never let it substitute for an actual nest egg. Which, despite the name, should never be something that's easily stolen from your nest.

wxcoin likes this.
  14. -jeffB

And I'm stealing this. :)

wxcoin likes this.
  15. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I have a police friend who is fond of saying: “If it wasn’t for stupid people I’d have to find another way to make a living.”

16. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

This applies to a LOT more than police work!:)

Santinidollar likes this.
  17. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

What I hope someone can explain is, how could it be possible for these to be worth $33K... unless he had 33 thousand of them.

18. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Maybe he should have stolen some coin books first.

19. Most likely high appraisal to get insurance money.

20. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

If they were all PR70 DCAM or MS70 and there were enough of them, they could easily be worth that much. I wouldn't advise investing in them for retirement, however.
    On the other hand, this has to be a great investment for retirement (as well as an example of dumb):
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-rare-dol...237711?hash=item48b3072ecf:g:AqsAAOSwWTJbnbvr
    Since the guy says "Best offer" and postage is free, I considered offering $2.50 just for the novelty, then came back to my senses when I stopped laughing.

21. -jeffB

I've had that one on my watch list for a while, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted