Thickness of planchet on 1919-S wheatie

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by carra's coins, Jun 27, 2019.

1. carra's coins

carra's coins Jack The Ripper Sharpens His Knifes With Coins

Does anyone know if this is the right thickness for this coin or is it suppose to be on something else. I can't find any that are this thick in my collection that are around this year.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

IMO your cent looks like it was struck slightly off center. Sometimes coins are struck on slightly thick or slightly thin planchets. It would be helpful if you could give us the weight of the coin.

4. carra's coins

carra's coins Jack The Ripper Sharpens His Knifes With Coins

Broke out the scale it weighs 3.0 grams.

5. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Normal weight is 3.11 grams. your coin is within tolerance limits. Could you post a photo of the edge. If the edge is very thick you might have a spooned coin.

6. Pete Apple

Pete Apple Well-Known Member

Thickness tolerance = 1.52 mm -0.102/+0.152 mm
    Since the weight is within tolerance, I would expect thickness also to be within tolerance. It could be a slightly tapered planchet - check to see if the rim varies in thickness, or measure the rim at 4 places around the circumference with calipers in mm to 2 decimals.

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Thinner than normal thickness can occur on any Lincoln cent minted before mid 1982. But yours is within tolerance.
    http://www.error-ref.com/rolled-thin-planchets/

Yours seems to also have some circulation wear which would add the the lesser than normal weigh. It's a 100 year old Cent!

Draft saved Draft deleted