Thick and Beautiful

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bing, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I bought this coin from JA at the beginning of this month. It's a wondrous coin, very thick and hefty for it's size, with good detail. Many here have posted coins from Arados, but this is my first.
    PHOENICIA ARADOS.jpg
    PHOENICIA ARADOS
    AR Tetradrachm
    OBVERSE: Turreted, veiled, and draped bust of Tyche right
    REVERSE: Nike standing left, holding wreath and palm frond; in left field, ZOP (date) above Aramaic B above ΘЄ; all within wreath
    Arados CY 177 (83/82 BC)
    14.91g, 27mm
    Duyrat 3536–49; HGC 10, 72; DCA 772; BMC 239

A little history of Arados

The name Arvad is noted in the Bible as the progenitor of the Arvadites, a Canaanite people.

The island was settled in the early 2nd millennium BC by the Phoenicians. Under Phoenician control, it became an independent kingdom called Arvad or Jazirat (the latter term meaning "island"). The Phoenician name for the city was probably (Aynook). The city has been cited as one of the first known examples of a republic in the world, in which the people, rather than a monarch, are described as sovereign. In Greek it was known as Arados. The city also appears in ancient sources as Arpad and Arphad. The city was renamed Antiochia in Pieria by Antiochus I Soter. The island was important as a base for commercial ventures into the Orontes valley. Located some 50 kilometres (31 mi) north of Tripolis, it was a barren rock covered with fortifications and houses several stories in height. The island was about 800 m long by 500 m wide, surrounded by a massive wall, and an artificial harbor was constructed on the east toward the mainland. It developed into a trading city in early times, as did most of the Phoenician cities on this coast. It had a powerful navy, and its ships are mentioned in the monuments of Egypt and Assyria. It seems to have had a sort of hegemony over the northern Phoenician cities, from the mouth of the Orontes to the northern limits of Lebanon, something like that of Sidon in the south. It had its own local dynasty and coinage, and some of the names of its kings have been recovered. Its inhabitants are mentioned in the early lists of Genesis (10:18), and Ezekiel (27:8,11) refers to its seamen and soldiers in the service of Tyre.

Please post your coins from Arados

thejewk, octavius, 7Calbrey and 33 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Fantastic coin Bing! I really love the turreted crown Tyche is wearing.

4. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Great coin, and thanks for the interesting writeup.

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Very nice looking coin Bing. Glad you like it.

6. KIWITI

KIWITI Well-Known Member

Almost 15g! Must be quite impressive in hand. o_O

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Arodos has quite a few interesting types. My first is a stater of 350-332 BC which I selected for its very odd flan that showed the most of the portrait (King Gerostratos?) and the full reverse legend MA 15 in Phoenecian letters (regnal year 15 = 328 BC) Sear 5977. I barely got the hull of the boat and lost all of the neat waves under it that you see on rounder coins but this is the better of the choices IMHO. Round is overrated. Compare:
    http://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=181796
    g01970bb0412.jpg

Next is a coin I have shown before many times from the time Arados was striking Alexander tetradrachms. AP under the throne I's the city. My coin is a fourree and die duplicate of another fourree that has the year date on flan in reverse exergue so I know it is year OE = 185 BC. I have not seen an OE that was not fourree but there are other years. Sear 5984
    g01990b00470jy05.jpg

Next is my tet like Bing's but year EOP = 175 = 85-84 BC Sear 5992 var. Sear points out these exist from 137 to 45 BC. Year date collectors will need a heavy duty penny board for their set.

g02000bb0872.jpg

My bronze with Zeus is AE17 has year date 115 = 179 BC under the ship ram. Again I selected it for having the year date.

g02005bb2913.jpg

One more fourree is from the Arados series issued to pay foreign mercenaries who were accustomed to the coins of Ephesos. Year P = 100 = 160-59 BC; Sear 5989. My question is who would pay mercenaries with bad coins? The style is good but maybe they are unofficial. I have seen several fourrees of this type.
    g01990bb0470.jpg

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  8. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

The OP coin really is a case of being better in-hand. It's a big, chunky silver with strong relief and details despite the wear. I think you took a good image of it - I wasn't happy with any of mine. Glad you like it!

9. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Very cool addition Bing---I was thinking of going after that OP coin as well...I always like the chunky types LOL:p

And Doug's examples are great....and I suspect paying mercenaries in bad coin is a VERY bad strategy for those desiring a full, long and happy life.:)

ancientcoinguru likes this.
  10. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i'd love to have an AR fatty like that...very nice bing!

11. Bing

Just thought I would add this side view image to give everyone an idea of it's thickness and to show the raised portrait.
    P9220002a.jpg

12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Sweet side-shot, big brother ... very cool new addition

13. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

The reverse of this coin from Arados shows a ligature of 2 Greek letters ( Alpha and Rho ) that is A and R for Arados on the upper right. I can also detect the image of Nike to the upper left. I don't think this is usual for Nike that way. On the obverse, Tyche looks as charming as ever, LOL.. Tyche Arad.jpg Tyche R.jpg

14. Bing

Question to all: Should I try to clean this coin?
    (So you don't have to look back to the start of this thread)
    PHOENICIA ARADOS.jpg

15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I think you could try lemon juice or white vinegar without hurting it.

16. Bing

I was thinking lemon juice, but a couple of denarii I cleaned with juice turned very bright with no toning left. But this coin looks like it could need a little cleaning. It's got great detail hidden beneath the black spots.

galba68 likes this.
  17. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Perhaps just some distilled water and a very soft nylon or wire brush???

As 'pish' would say, just a 'tickle'...and very lightly done at that. Just boiling a coin usually leaves it 'clean' keeps the patina and can easily be further enhanced by simply rubbing it dry with a soft cloth...??

Pishpash likes this.
  18. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I don't think the dark matter is dirt. It's probably horn silver.

19. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

I have two from Arados
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Phoenicia, Arados
    Coin: Silver Stater
    - Laureate head of Baál Arwad with full eye right
    Phoenician letters aleph (´), aleph (´) & mem (M) above - Galley sailing right above waves (three lines) with figure of Pataikos right, all within dotted square border
    Mint: Arados (348/7-339/8 BC)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 9.22g / 17-19mm / -
    References:
    • cf. HGC 10, 32-6
    • Cf. Betlyon 26

and

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Phoenicia , Arados
    Coin: Bronze
    - Braided, bearded head of Zeus right, border of dots.
    - Phoenician letters nun (N) and resh (R) above, Aradian era date 112-113 below
    Mint: Arados (148-146 B.C)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 3.80g / 16mm / -
    References:
    • Sear #6001
    Both attributions came from a user on FAC named (appropriately) Arados.

galba68, randygeki, 7Calbrey and 8 others like this.
  20. Cyrrhus

Cyrrhus Well-Known Member

Some of my Phoenicians.

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0013.JPG IMG_0014.JPG IMG_0015.JPG IMG_0016.JPG IMG_0017.JPG

Attached Files:

21. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

I really like your new coin jw, i know you've wanted one for a while!!:) nice big fat chunky coin, i would drop it in some olive oil for a few days, brush every other day..then brush it in lemon juice.;)

Phoenicia Arados 138-43 B.C.
    Ar Tet. Dated CY 160 (100/99 BC)
    Obv. Turreted veiled and draped bust of Tyche right.
    Rev. Nike standing left, holding aplustre and palm.
    29mm x 14.97g.

retake #3 005_opt.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted