They are faking the 1955 cent now?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by omegachop, May 26, 2023.

1. omegachop

omegachop New Member

The website I linked is not the seller I am talking about. I did a google search and found you can buy these fakes from china on that website I linked. This is the seller's listing: https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m39051268996/

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Yes, you can blame him. The piece is not marked "COPY" so once it's out of his hands it can be palmed off on somebody else. You can also blame all of them for making and marketing this junk.

serafino and ldhair like this.
  4. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

People will fake anything as long as there’s. money in it :(

johnmilton likes this.
  5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Lincoln looks cartoonish.

Insider likes this.
  6. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

US law requires COPY on the coin itself, on both obverse and reverse.

7. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I believe that the law only requires the “COPY” mark, or something similar, to be on one side or the other.

-jeffB and Insider like this.
  8. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Exactly where did you read this?

serafino and Jack D. Young like this.
  9. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

The only thing new is it is a small cent. They are doing it with almost any coin which has value now. Unfortunately they have surpassed my ability to identify them now. They used to be easy.

10. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Yes, the law states either the obverse or the reverse. https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-16/chapter-I/subchapter-C/part-304

Even the "legal" ones I've seen to not conform to the size requirements though, particularly the bold part below:

An imitation numismatic item of incusable material shall be incused with the word “COPY” in sans-serif letters having a vertical dimension of not less than two millimeters (2.0 mm) or not less than one-sixth of the diameter of the reproduction, and a minimum depth of three-tenths of one millimeter (0.3 mm) or to one-half (1⁄2) the thickness of the reproduction, whichever is the lesser. The minimum total horizontal dimension of the word “COPY” shall be six millimeters (6.0 mm) or not less than one-half of the diameter of the reproduction.

11. PamR

PamR You Never Know! Supporter

IMG_7563.jpeg

12. erscolo

erscolo Well-Known Member

Capitalism from a "Communist" country! As noted above, always trust your insticts, and always be a well educated hobbyist.

13. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

the 1955 DD and many other DD pennies were for sale on Chinese website for years. Before the US gov't (or someone) really clamped down on it, since then "COPY" is stamped on many. But for a long time they were producing these and who knows how many were bought and distributed.

Draft saved Draft deleted