these clipped coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Blue Lue Boyle, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Howdy, good evening, everyone.

I've come to see that with many minting coin errors, there are people who try to replicate the error themselves w/ anything from chemicals to some types of machinery...I imagine clipped coins are no different.

And, so, I pulled these coins from a big, assorted lot and am wondering if they look like they were clipped naturally/thru the minting process or if maybe someone did this on their own. I photographed the three pennies, two nickels, and two dimes from the obverse and the reverse, I know the lighting's not great, I usually take the photos outside w/ less reflection, but it's dark out now, so...for what it's worth.

Thanks,

Lou

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Just ask yourself how do you get a square clip from a round punch press

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It's possible. It's called a straight clip. Remember the punch is punching out blanks. When a sheet of metal is moving along for the blanks to be punched out sometimes they get jammed so in actuality the next blanks to be punched out are areas that are already clipped or the edge or the end of the sheet (that's where the straight clip happens)

tommyc03 and Markus1959 like this.
  5. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Easy, end of strip

Blue Lue Boyle and paddyman98 like this.
  6. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

One punched slightly off of the strip.

Blue Lue Boyle and paddyman98 like this.
  7. paddyman98

Hi Lou, welcome to Cointalk.
    Most of your coins look like manmade clips. Maybe 1 or 2 look like true clipped planchets.

UnCommonCents and ldhair like this.
  8. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I'm not too sure that all of them are genuine clips.

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Markus1959 and paddyman98 like this.
  10. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Real clips have a way of revealing themselves. First, the curve (if present - straight clips are also possible) will match the radius of the coin. The clip is created by the same punch that creates the planchet, so it has to have the same curve. Second, there's a feature called the Blakesley Effect caused by striking a clipped coin - the details opposite the clip will be very weak or not present at all. It happens in virtually every case, and the absence of it is a big red flag if the clip is of any size at all. Another thing is the way the rim and any adjacent details will blend into the clipped area - they won't look "cut off."

With those facts in mind, I think both the Cents and Dimes were done with tools post-Mint. The Nickels, though, are interesting. The 1962 looks odd on the obverse and appropriate on the reverse, and the clip is small enough to be variable on Blakesley Effect. I don't see a smooth curve, but I do see the rims blending in correctly (not likely to happen if someone mechanically clips it). Not sure on this one. The other sure looks like a legitimate triple clip, though, and a pretty interesting (but not unknown) coin. Let's await further opinion. :)

11. paddyman98

Blue Lue Boyle likes this.
  12. green18

Not seein' much 'Blakesley', but that don't always happen. Shots of the rim (where the break occured) would be helpful.

phankins11 and paddyman98 like this.
  13. Markus1959

14. green18

Yeah, but unlike most of the world, they like us.......:)

swamp yankee and Markus1959 like this.
  15. paddyman98

Also.. you should of asked this question under the Error Coins Forum ;)

saltysam-1 and Blue Lue Boyle like this.
  16. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

17. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

A straight clip occurs when the blank is cut from the end of the roll of metal.

Chris

Blue Lue Boyle likes this.
  18. Markus1959

For now - we still got over another year to piss them off!

19. paddyman98

Just a few from my collection :wideyed:
    705943-006+.JPG 2385133-015.JPG 2599166-005+.JPG 3691627-004.JPG 2628787-007.JPG 2533585-001.JPG 2598468-008.JPG

20. Markus1959

Nice!

paddyman98 likes this.
  21. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

A piece of strip.
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted