These Aren't Seriously Considered Coins, Right?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Endeavor, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

No, they are gimmicks for people with too much money to burn. Palau, Liberia, Australia and many others are making a killing on these oddities.

TopcatCoin and Paul M. like this.
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I have a red with white pic guard guitar coin I got a long time ago for $14. just a novelty. never sold it. still have it for fun. I also have this 2001 Slovakia 3 sided hands coin I like very much. the Bermuda coin is nice and quite scarce in gold and in demand.

cc13 011.jpg
    cc13 012.jpg
    the holder is cracked on the reverse but has not damaged the coin at all thank God. someday I will get the proof of this coin off Ebay. To many other coins to get first.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  5. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

"These Aren't Seriously Considered Coins, Right?"

Well, at least one of them is: The Baseball HOF coin!

I read in Coin World that Poland is issuing a spherical coin that looks more like a metal marble than it does a coin!

6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

7. Pere

Pere Active Member

Three-curved-sides coins like the Polish and Slovakian ones would be nice for a 3X-some-unit denomination.

Obviously the sharp-pointed and awkward/irregular shapes are impractical for real coins. Spherical money--made to roll off counters--sounds like a terrible idea too.

8. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

9. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Why should these be considered non-coins any differently than any of the other not for circulation bullion crap that the mint puts out?

10. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

If you notice in the link, the flying V guitar is backwards. Would that be considered an error? Remember the old Judas Priest video? The cardboard cut out of the flying V? It was backwards too. LOL

cash4coin likes this.
  11. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Okay, I will admit that some find these very collectible and if you really like them buy them and enjoy. But with the price of silver you just cannot justify the high issue prices. And in a pinch for money I doubt you will ever recover your investment. And trying to actually spend them as coins, well, good luck. Remember the story Chris posted about the guy who tried spending some of our own coins at a McDonalds? I wonder what would happen if you tried to spend the Baseball HOF Commemorative. If I offended anyone who collects these, please accept my apology.

12. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

If issued by a government and are marked with a value yes!
    The Bermuda triangle silver coin is a really sweet coin. The gold even sweeter. I had a silver one wish I still had it, as I helped out a friend whom had two boys. She had one coin and needed a second . Being a nice guy I sold it to her. Don't see many at shows, or I would replace mine.
    I also have the Australian map coin. It was first made as a Kookaburra coin for the Shanghai expo. You could only buy them at the expo .
    The new US baseball coin falls into the same category , however they sold like hot cakes!

spirityoda and tommyc03 like this.
  13. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I consider them all bullion pieces. That being said, if you like them, then there's no reason not to have one.

Draft saved Draft deleted