These are rare coins?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Viacheslav, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Viacheslav

Viacheslav Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Good afternoon my friends.
    Please tell me names of these emperors on coins, and also tell me - these coins rare or not?
    Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

The photo is not good enough to positively ID the coins. They are all common coins from the late 4th century. Possible emperors are Valentianan I Valentinian II, Valens, Theodosius I, Theodosius II, Gratian, Arcadius, or Honorius. If you could send large individual photos of each coin, obverse and reverse, we might be able to offer more help.

Mikey Zee, gregarious and Viacheslav like this.
  4. Viacheslav

Viacheslav Member

Thanks for the answer.
    I in the next will take new pictures.

5. gsimonel

You will probably get the most help if you post each coin in a separate thread.

Until then, you now know which rulers to be on the lookout for. Their names are contained in the obverse inscription around the bust. Each inscription is most likely to begin on the left with DN and end on the right with PFAVG. The letters in between will contain the emperor's name. Even if all the letters in the inscription aren't on the flan, you can often find certain combinations of letters that will nail down the ID for you. For example, if you see a DO on the left side, you know the emperor is either Theodosius I or II; the reverse type will distinguish which. Or if the inscription on the right side is the rather unflattering ANVSPFAVG without any other letters, the coin is of Valentinian I.

Viacheslav likes this.
  6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Common coins for sure, but still near enough to 2000 years old. History to hold in your hand. What a fantastic feeling.

7. Viacheslav

Viacheslav Member

8. Viacheslav

Viacheslav Member

:stop:

9. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

The third coin, whilst not in good condition, is quite popular because it shows the three emperors on the reverse. Possibly Theodosius II on the obverse with Arcadius, Honorius and Theodosius on the reverse.

Curtisimo, Theodosius and Viacheslav like this.
  10. Viacheslav

Viacheslav Member

Thank you very much. It is good. I like a small piece of antiquity.

Deacon Ray and Pishpash like this.
  11. gsimonel

I think I can see a "DI" right before the inscription break on the 3rd coin. That would make it Arcadius.

I think the first one is Gratian, based on the obverse inscription, although the reverse appears to begin with VICTO, which leaves me confused.

The second coin has too much of the obverse inscription off the flan for a positive id, but it appears to have an unbroken inscription, so Arcadius would be a good guess. Similar to this type: http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/arcadius/_antioch_RIC_067d_G_cross.jpg

#4 also looks like Arcadius, VIRTVS EXERCITI type: http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/arcadius/_antioch_RIC_X_70_A.jpg

I'd need a better photo to be sure about #5, but I think it's also Arcadius because I can almost make out "ADIVS" over the head of the portrait.

Looks like you may have the beginnings of a nice Arcadius collection, which would be an interesting emperor to collect, since history seems to have ignored him, along with most numismatists.

Anyone have any ideas about #1? If it is Gratian, it would be a rarity with that reverse type/inscription.

12. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Welcome to the forum, Viacheslav! It's a great place to hang out! I visit many times a day...on my cell phone...on my tablet...on my laptop...on my home computer...on my church computer...

13. Viacheslav

Viacheslav Member

Thanks. I live in Russia and therefore it is very interesting to me to learn opinion of collectors of antique coins from other countries. (excuse for my not really good English text)

14. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

You need not apologize for your English. For one thing, it seems pretty darn good to me, and for another, most here do not speak, read or write another language. I speak German, but I'm impressed with anyone that speaks another language fluently. BTW, welcome to CT @Viacheslav

Curtisimo and Seattlite86 like this.
  15. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Welcome @Viacheslav ! Looking forward to your future posts and participation.

16. Viacheslav

Viacheslav Member

Thanks for the invitation.
    To me will interestingly communicate and learn new in antique numismatics here.

17. Viacheslav

Viacheslav Member

Thanks. I will try. I have many questions and at me is what to show at this forum.

Alegandron likes this.
  18. Viacheslav

Viacheslav Member

Thanks. I think that you have the most exact definition for my coins of the last emperors of the Roman Empire.
    I in coins of the last Roman emperors not really well understand, I collect coins of the first Roman emperors from Augustus Octavian to Maksimian Frakiyts because at the monetety period a beautiful portrait similar to a picture, beautiful stamping.

Mikey Zee and Alegandron like this.
  19. Pishpash

Who?

20. Viacheslav

Viacheslav Member

Mikey Zee and Pishpash like this.
  21. Pishpash

Looking forward to seeing some of your collection @Viacheslav .

Curtisimo, gregarious and Viacheslav like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted