These 5 Eastern coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Cyrrhus, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Cyrrhus

Cyrrhus Well-Known Member

Hello,

While sorting, wondering about these 5, I found one reference in the past..but can not find it anymore.
    Anybody a better easy solution to indentify these.

Thanks, IMG_0164.JPG IMG_0165.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Pisidia, Antioch?

John Anthony likes this.
  4. Cyrrhus

Cyrrhus Well-Known Member

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

The style sure looks similar but the reverse legend is different from any of yours, or so it seems to me.

Try writing down whatever letters you can read on each of the reverses. The city name is probably spelled out or abbreviated on the reverses.

I'd love to help but can't access Wildwinds at the moment. There are other useful sites but that Wildwinds is usually my first stop when faced with an unknown coin.

Jwt708 likes this.
  7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

These are all easily attributable, but since I don't have the time to do it at the moment, I'll let you have the fun. Just know that the word "Pisidia" does not occur on the coinage of Pisidia. The city legends are variations and abbreviations of COLONIA ANTIOCH. See this Wildwinds page.

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Two on left are Geta; two on right are Julia Domna; top center is Caracalla. Both Domnas are Antioch with Latin legends but the others are Greek legend provincials. I'd start by searching on Geta and Tyche hoping to find matches. I don't see the 3 of the boys as all that easy since the better parts of the reverse legends are not the parts that name the city and I am not terribly into Severan provincials.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  9. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

I was so amped I thought I was going to see some eastern coins...sigh...Romans...

Great coins I am glad folks were able to ID them for you.

Draft saved Draft deleted