There ARE Things Other Than Doubled Stuff, You Know

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by V. Kurt Bellman, Jan 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

The cherrypickers books are nothing but overpriced wastes of paper nowhere remotely close to being what some here have suggested, nor do they address only the "rare dies" claimed by another member.

Said books are nothing more than a short listing of varieties that have been deemed the winners of a value and/or popularity contest, and offer little to no variety-specific info that cannot be found elsewhere both for free and in greater detail. There is not one single person presently participating in this thread, or on this forum, or on the internet as a whole who can benefit more from such books than they can by simply spending a few moments sucking up to google. They had their time and place, but have become the numismatic equivalent of the Macarena.

V. Kurt Bellman likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Tell us how you REALLY feel Books :)

longnine009 likes this.
  4. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Man, I wish had said that! Excellent thought!

All I had to read was ONE example wherein one of these snotty-nosed YouTube-"trained" creatures was arguing with Fred Weinberg over an error coin. He had watched a Lying YouTube video, full of Lies, produced by a Liar, and here he was on CoinTalk, Liars' Other Den of Lies, arguing with the #1 expert on error coins in the whole stinking country. And I challenge even ONE CT member to explain to me how that's NOT just plain injurious to this hobby! And it's all because of the CHIEF ATTRIBUTE of this darned stupid monstrosity we call the Internet - it makes the benefit of knowledge and expertise disappear, so lying cretins look and sound EXACTLY like the top experts in a field. That is EVIL distilled down to its bare essence.

"Well my opinion is just as good as yours." No, no it isn't. The world is not that way, it's never BEEN than way, and Providence willing, it never WILL BE that way. A court will stop its proceedings dead in its tracks for DAYS to hold a hearing on whether a witness is "qualified to offer an opinion". More often than not, they aren't. The Internet would do well to emulate that system.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  5. V. Kurt Bellman

I'll even magnify on a point nearly made by "Books". One might read that and ask, "So Cherrypickers edits errors and varieties down to the valuable ones. Great! What's wrong with that?" Oh but wait. The dirty truth is errors and varieties often BECOME "valuable" because they "made Cherrypickers", or How to Strike.., or Top 100 this or that. Now if you're so naive that you don't see the fundamental opportunity for self-dealing abuse in that, well, you should probably have a guardian appointed for you to manage your affairs, because you're clearly incompetent to handle them.

6. JayF

JayF Active Member

I think you and Books should start a thread called "Purist Numismatists", this way you get questions that makes you happy...you don't have to comment or help educate the newbies that posts questions in the "What's its worth" or "Error Coins" thread...because most will never be the same as you two.

7. V. Kurt Bellman

You think Books gets wound up over this? You should see him on the subject o' that feller in the west of Denver who bought hisself one-a-them surplus Denver coining presses, and umm, "makes stuff". Now THAT gets Books all up in a lather. Ahooooooooweeee!

Books and I disagree 'bout that feller.

Kentucky likes this.
  8. JayF

JayF Active Member

His past comment seems to indicate he's tired of the impatient new members, and he said he feels he is expected to answer them. You obviously can't stand any questions on either forum so I think it'll work out well for everyone.

9. V. Kurt Bellman

What you can't YET see, but will someday, is that's it is YouTube who caused your unpleasant experiences here, and not us. They are NOT a benign influence, hard as that may be for you to believe right now. They are an evil, evil metaphorical place.

QUITE LITERALLY, the longer anyone watches YouTube videos, the dumber they get. It's almost measurable in "real time".

10. JayF

JayF Active Member

Who said I'm having an unpleasant experience here? lol I'm having a great time learning here after learning A LOT from youtube videos.

For someone who claims he's the all knowing coin king, you haven't really taught me anything about coins. Most of your posts are jokes while screaming youtube is evil. Instead of screaming about youtube and insulting people, post educational things on how collecting and not just making money off of coins can be fun and worthwhile. Convince people why it's good...

11. V. Kurt Bellman

I do educational programs, but not in THIS sort of venue. I give talks at local, regional, and national numismatic shows and conventions, which are “in real time” interactive, meaning I actually encourage being interrupted mid-sentence, just like an oral argument before an appellate court, which is an experience I’ve also had once, and likely again in 2021 or 2022. I am competent to manage reams of information “on my feet” and not get flustered speaking before even thousands of people, an experience I’ve done frequently, but not on a coin subject.

I also now judge competitive coin exhibits. I write EXTENSIVE comments on ALL segments of ALL scoring sheets, not just slap down a score. I might be the ONLY judge that still does that. Does that level of detail in my thinking almost invite specific questions and potential disagreement? Yup, it sure does. Bring it. I don't write what I don't expect to be able to defend. Why not here? I don't take "here" all that seriously at all. Maybe you've noticed. "Here" is downright funny, even when it's not trying to be.

I live in an urban loft with ceilings between 25 and 30 feet tall, and if I tried to stack my numismatic book collection in a single stack, I could not. It would hit the ceiling. The best single educational thing on coins I can offer is “buy the book”, even if you NEVER buy or own a single coin. Oh, that and “throw the USB microscope where it belongs, in the trash.”

12. V. Kurt Bellman

This is overstated. I am curious about when this became an "oral tradition" hobby, when it never was before. People used to be expected to do their homework before lobbing out random queries. I long, nay, YEARN for that day's return, speaking strictly for myself.

Example: In Anaheim in 2016, one of numismatics' most shameless self-promoters, one Scott A. Travers, gave a talk that I attended. He asked everyone how they felt about a legal case - the famous Langbord case involving 10 1933 Double Eagles. He took a poll of the house. He then asked why they felt that way. Everyone but me just sat there with their teeth in their mouths. I gave a point by point legal analysis why the Court was correct and the majority of attendees were wrong under the law. The conversation ended right there. Next subject.

My point? I am NOT satisfied to feel the way I feel. First, I reject "feel" for "think". Then I seek to know why I think what I do and be able to defend what I think from an onslaught from any and all dissenters. That's just the way I've been educated to roll.

My "other point"? To paraphrase Lee Attwater, "coin people don't think, coin people feel". This attribute makes them exceptionally easy to con. Everyone in the room had an "opinion" about the Langbord case, but almost NONE had an "informed opinion". This is why I don't sell coins. It's no challenge to con coin people, and resisting the urge is almost painful.

13. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

About 10 pages after only a day an a half!!! :smuggrin:

14. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Hey, don't put down snarkiness. Usually snarky = truth! :smuggrin:

15. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Again, Jay... you've been here barely TWO WEEKS yet think you're in a position to question my motivations? In the decades I was directly involved in this hobby on a daily basis as a non-collector, I held more hands and walked more contributing collectors into it than you have total posts to this forum. And this, sir, is in addition to the last five or so spent here, which includes going out of my way to answer questions others avoid, often those of the very variety type you're now accusing me of taking issue with. I don't block my posting history, nor do I edit posts without noting it with an explanation, so perhaps you should spend a little time digging before opening your mouth.

Seriously, who the hell do you think you are?

16. JayF

JayF Active Member

(This is from page 6 of this thread)

I'm sorry I haven't met the minimum thread post number or time in here to post my opinion. I thought this was an open forum where people are invited to join. He asked me and I told him what you had to said to me (quoted above). I didn't make anything up, just referenced what YOU said. I don't care really how long you've been here, I don't know why both of you keep telling me how long you've been doing this. That doesn't matter to me, what matters if how one addresses the newcomers who comes here thinking they will get help but instead get scolded like they are kids. If you get fed up with the impatient newcomers, ignore them, don't berate them. And do not ever insult their intelligence, that won't work in keeping them engaged in this hobby.

You can ignore me Books, I don't mind really...it won't hurt my feelings. I may, hurt yours going forward without meaning to.

17. Larry Graves

Larry Graves New Member

Have you ever seen a quarter with a ring around Washington's head? In the light it looks like a Golden hue.in a photo it looks grey. It is not on Washington's head.just around it.

18. Larry Graves

Larry Graves New Member

Any one? Hello?

19. Larry Graves

Larry Graves New Member

No one? Wow, I thought I would meet some smart people here that could give me some advise or wisdom.

20. Larry Graves

Larry Graves New Member

Can someone help a newbie out?

21. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Nope. Go somewhere else.

Kentucky likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.