Theodosius II : Three Little Emperors

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by zumbly, Feb 7, 2016.

1. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

This is quite far down the Roman Imperial timeline for me, but it struck me as an interesting little bronze from a ruler better known for his plentiful gold coins, and in general, just a nice-looking coin for the period.

Theodosius II was the youngest emperor ever, all of one year old when he was named co-ruler of the Roman Empire in AD 402. This issue, circa AD 406-408, shows all three reigning emperors on the reverse - little Theo in the middle flanked by his father, Arcadius, and his uncle, Honorius. It was struck in the names of all three emperors, but quite uncommon for Theodosius II, and altogether rare from the Constantinople mint.

I think there have been one or two Theo II threads in the recent past, but feel free to post 'em again if you have 'em!

upload_2016-2-7_16-22-46.png
    THEODOSIUS II
    AE4
    2.18g, 16.5mm
    Constantinople mint, AD 406-408
    RIC X Constantinople 144 (R4)
    O: DN THEODO-SIVS PF AVG, pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right, star behind.
    R: GLORI-A ROMA-NORVM, emperors Honorius and Arcadius standing vis-a-vis holding spears and shields, inbetween them young Theodosius II holding a globe and spear with his head turned to the right; CONSB in exergue.

dlhill132, WDF, Alegandron and 17 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Yummy ... that's a very sweet desert-patina example (congrats)

Sadly, Theo-II has been very elusive, so I don't have an example to toss-into your thread (*sigh*)

I hope that your Saturday-night/Sunday-morning is treatin' you well, my coin-friend

cheers.gif

JBGood and zumbly like this.
  4. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I have this bronze which is rated as scarce. RIC X- 410. TheoII Cons    Scarce.jpg TheoII Ric X-  410.jpg

5. zumbly

Thanks, Steve... we're well into Sunday night here and having a good meal out with family. Have a great Sunday, my friend!

stevex6 likes this.
  6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice example, Zumbly.

[​IMG]
    Theodosius II (402 - 450 A.D.)
    Æ4
    O: D N THEODO-SIVS P F AVG, diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    R: cross in wreath, SMKB in exergue.
    Cyzicus Mint
    1g
    13mm
    RIC X 44

7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

thats a LOVELY coin Z, i can't remember seeing one of that reverse type that wasn't honorius. i can't remember seeing of that that reverse type that looked that good either. all you folks that turns your noses up at LRB should take a second look at that coin!

here's my example of the more common type....

[​IMG]
    Honorius, AE4, 406-408 AD
    O DN HONORI-VS PF AVG R:GLORI-A ROMA-NORVM; Honorius, Arcadius, and Thoedosus II ANT (A or Delta) in ex. Antioch mint 15 mm, 1.7g RIC X 153

dlhill132, randygeki, WDF and 6 others like this.
  8. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Very interesting type, and quite good for the type, well done !

Of course you've already seen my Theo II, but what the heck, you asked for them again :

[​IMG]
    Theodosius II, Siliqua Constantinople mint
    D N THEODO SIVS P F AVG, diademed draped and cuirassed bust right seen from front
    VOT/XX/MVLT/XXX, within a laurel wreath, CONS* at exergue
    2.16 gr, 18.5 mm
    RIC X, # 381

[​IMG]
    Theodosius II, AE3 Constantinople mint, 1st officina
    DN THEODOSIVS AVG, Diademed and cuirassed bust of Theodiosius facing, holding spear on his right shoulder
    CONCORDI A AVG, Constantinopolis, seated, facing, holding spear and a victory on globe. In exergue CONSA
    2,25 gr, 16 mm
    Ref : RC # 4296, LRBC # 2212 var, RIC X, 90 (R4)

Q

dlhill132, randygeki, WDF and 9 others like this.
  9. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Zumbly, that's the best coin of those types that I've seen. Most of them look like the one Chris posted, and mine. I've never seen one with so much well-preserved detail. I would go so far as to nominate it for a Best-of-Type.

Here are three of my coins of Theo II, one of which is a two-emperors type. Is it me, or do those look like bushmen with spears?

3 of theo two k.jpg

dlhill132, randygeki, WDF and 6 others like this.
  10. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

With reverse legend of Concordia, and Cons+officinae in exergue, I ass Theq Q.jpg Theq R.jpg umed that this coin of Theodosius II is attributed as RIC X 89. But I think I should report an Error to Dane since it had been deleted there, as far as image and text. Am I right?

dlhill132, randygeki, WDF and 4 others like this.
  11. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Still slowy paying this bugger off! Hopefully I should make enough by Spring break to finally own it!
    image.jpeg
    Theodosius II AR Miliarense. Thessalonica mint, 408-423 AD. D N THEODOSIVS P F AVG, pearl-diademed, draped & cuirassed bust right / GLORIA ROMANORVM, Theodosius standing facing, head left, holding spear & shield; star in left field, COM in ex. RIC X 392; RSC 20 var (mintmark), 4.25 grams.

dlhill132, randygeki, WDF and 7 others like this.
  12. zumbly

Thanks for the kind comments and Theo II coinshares, everyone. LRBLand continues to throw up fun little surprises for me. I'll probably have a few more to post in the near future.

13. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

My ARCADIUS of The Three Emperors: (7) Arcadius Three Emperors RIC.IX.151.jpg

and my (only) Theodosius II
    THEODOSIUS II RIC X Nicomedia 447.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  14. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

15. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Honorius.jpg Well, I have a nice Honorius bronze from Cyzicus, 395-401 AD, with Victory crowning the little emperor, and the motto VIRTVS EXERCITI or Virtue of the Army. 18 mm, 2,52 gr.

16. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

And another coin much like the last, but from Arcadius. Smaller but heavier, 16 mm and 4,04 gr. Can't read the mintmark, maybe Antioch.
    Arcadius.jpg

17. Herberto

Herberto Well-Known Member

Again a thread about the Theodosius family? Why? Are they the Kardashians of ancient world or what? :happy:

Theodosius, nummi.
    379-395 Theodosius I 16 RIC39(b).jpg
    Obverse: DN THEODOSIVS PF AVG
    Reverse: VICTORI A AVGGG
    Mint: ASIS (siscia)
    1,4 cm
    RIC 39(b)

Theodosius II, Solidus
    z 402-450 Theodosius II Solidus 4,44g;21mm 365 RIC257.jpg
    Obverse: DN THEODOSIVS PF AVG
    Reverse: VOTXXX MYLTXXXXN
    Mint: CONOB (Constantinople)
    4,44gram and 21mm
    RIC 257

18. zumbly

Tripping Up with the Theodosians? I'd watch that... :D

stevex6 and Herberto like this.
  19. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Great addition!

20. dlhill132

dlhill132 Member

My only Ae of Theodosius.

154b.jpg

Magnus Maximus, Bing, stevex6 and 2 others like this.
  21. SIliquae

SIliquae Well-Known Member

My small contribution to this post (I've also the siliqua RIC381).

THEODOSE II - CONSTANTINOPLE - RIC X 389
    [​IMG]
    Crédit photo : ©Siliquae

Silique, 438-450, C
    A/ D N THEODO-SIVS P F AVG
    Dominus Noster Theodosius Pius Felix Augustus, Notre Maître Théodose Pieux et Heureux Auguste
    Buste à droite, drapé et cuirassé, tête diadémée (Perles).
    R/ VOT/MVLT/XXXX//CONS*
    Votis/Multis quadracennalibus, Vœux et plus pour le quarantième à venir
    Légende en 3 lignes dans une couronne de lauriers fermée.
    Argent, Poids : 1.65 gr, Diamètre : 18.1 mm, axe des coins : 11h
    RIC X 389, RSC 21
    La monnaie est sur Nummus-Bible
    Fiche de la monnaie sur la base Siliquae

Draft saved Draft deleted