Theodosius I

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by seth77, Aug 1, 2020.

1. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Here are 2 coins of Theodosius. The first was struck at Thessalonica, the second was issued at Antioch mint.

TheodTess.JPG Theod R          RIC 44b.JPG Theod O 600  antioch.JPG TheodVictory  Cross.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

Mine was around $400 US and I bought it last December. I haven't been monitoring prices, but I don't think they would go for much more than what I paid.

I've seen lesser examples for sale around $300 (I recall there were a few on Vcoins). There was a beautiful MS example for auction about a year ago that I bid on (my max was $800), but it hammered for $1400 and I was not willing to go that high. Hope this helps. Have a look at coinarchives.com for auction results.

ernstk and DonnaML like this.
  4. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  5. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

I've always liked this type, which is rather scarce. It was probably minted briefly before Magnus Maximus invaded Italy in 387:

1860700_1619352781.jpg

Theoderic, DonnaML, Bing and 3 others like this.
  6. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Earlier this year I picked up this galley type with some nice detail..

upload_2021-5-17_17-3-48.png
    Theodosius I. Thessalonica mint

7. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I have two fun Theodosii.

This has a really neat bluish toning that shines in the right angles (below is not the right angle)
    Theodosius I AE4 RIC IX Constantinople 83b.JPG

This is literally twice as large, and although the standing reverse figure got decapitated, the kneeling figure's massive crown makes up for it.
    Theodosius I Siscia RIC IX 26c T3 (2020_11_18 03_38_31 UTC).JPG

DonnaML, Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  8. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

Nice bronze coins of Theodosius I are not impossible to find. I bought this Theodosius AE-23 last month for EUR 56 on Ebay.

I love the GLORIA ROMANORVM series with military bust.

GLORIA ROMANORVM is quite a promise given that Rome had just received one of its most devastating blows in the form of the battle of Adrianople at which the Goths wiped out almost the entire eastern army, including its emperor. Rome was at the brink of disintegration when Theodosius came to the purple and he did a great job stabilizing and consolidating the situation, at least for the next years and decades. His foedus with the Goths, however, may have laid the foundation for the final collapse.

Screenshot 2021-05-18 at 19.40.43.png

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  9. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

Another one in eben better (I'd say almost not perfect) condition:

Screenshot 2021-05-18 at 19.43.17.png

10. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

The style of Theodosius' coins can be as good as that of early 4th or even 1st century coins:

Screenshot 2021-05-18 at 19.44.32.png

11. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

Another nice Theodosius AE-22

Screenshot 2021-05-18 at 19.45.54.png

12. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

This one was is also nice: Screenshot 2021-05-18 at 19.47.26.png

13. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

Very common, but rarely seen in such lovely condition:

Screenshot 2021-05-18 at 19.48.38.png

Theoderic, Bing and Johndakerftw like this.
  14. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Fine engraving like that you usually see on gold.

15. Hrefn

Hrefn Well-Known Member

Did someone mention gold?

upload_2021-5-18_20-30-0.jpeg upload_2021-5-18_20-30-28.png

Theodosius I the Great. 379-395 AD. Obverse shows the Emperor facing right with pearl diadem, cuirass and cloak. DNTHEODO SIUSPFAUG. Reverse shows Constantinopolis with mural crown, seated right, foot on prow, holding long scepter and a plain globus. The mural crown is uncommon. CONCOR DIAAUCCC dot. In exergue, CONOB

Theodosius I fathered Arcadius and Honorius by his first wife, and Galla Placidia by his second. His reign was troubled by the revolts of Magnus Maximus and Eugenius (creature of Arbogast) in the West. He settled the Goths as foederati after some inconclusive warfare with them, which proved a fateful decision. Champion of Nicean orthodoxy, and a saint of the Eastern church. He signed the Edict of Thessalonica on February 27, 380 AD, making Catholic Christianity the official religion of the Roman Empire.

Struck 380 AD.

Purchased from Ed Waddell many years ago.
    A coin with the same dies sold in Triton VIII #1268 in Jan 2005 AD.
    Similar coin advertised in 6/2020 for by Munthandel G.Henzen.

16. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I just got this decently attractive sand-patinated Theo I. Oddly, this doesn't show up in Wildwinds!
    Theodosius I AE2 Constantinople.JPG

philologus_1, Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  17. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Lovely.. thank you for posting - a wonderful coin!!

Hrefn likes this.
  18. philologus_1

philologus_1 Supporter! Supporter

upload_2021-5-19_10-14-27.png
    The Christian symbol above the campgate is variously termed by catalogers: Christogram, Chi-Rho, Chrismon, Tau-Rho, & Staurogram. IMO: The latter 2 terms seem most accurate.

19. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

I think "scarce" is an understatement for this consular bust.

philologus_1 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted