The young augusta

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Marsman, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Marsman

Marsman Well-Known Member

I was most certainly not looking for a Faustina denarius, but simply couldn't let this one go. I was amazed about the youthful and lively portrait of Faustina. Most of her coins have a somewhat 'stiff' portrait. This portrait is somehow different. But maybe that is just me :).

Faustina Minor (the younger) was an important figure in Roman history. She was the daughter of emperor Antoninus Pius and empress Faustina the elder. She married the next emperor in line Marcus Aurelius and was the mother of emperor Commodus.

Not much has survived from the Roman sources regarding her life, but what is available does certainly not look good for her. She has been accused of ordering deaths by poison and execution. She has also been accused of instigating the revolt of general Avidius Cassius against her husband. Probably because she didn't want her son Commodus to rule (and she was right about that!).

Faustina accompanied her husband on military campaigns and much enjoyed it. Marcus Aurelius therefore gave her the title of Mater Castrorum, meaning ‘Mother of the Camp’.

This denarius was struck in Rome under emperor Antoninus Pius, circa 147-150 AD.
    Faustina was born around 130 AD (there is no certainty about her day of birth). She therefore was a young woman at the time this coin was struck.

Faustina II.jpg

Faustina II. Augusta, denarius.
    Rome mint. Struck under Antoninus Pius, circa 147-150 AD.
    3.55 gm, 19mm.
    Obv. FAVSTINAE AVG PII AVG FIL, draped bust right, with hair tied in pearls.
    Rev. VENVS, Venus standing left, holding apple in right hand and dolphin-entwined rudder in left.
    RIC III 517c (Antoninus Pius).

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Ahhh thats where she went!.....I was just about to buy this one from Tom and you beat me to it....Its a great looking coin with , as you said, a much more interesting portrait! Congrats I love it!
    I only have one of hers....
    Faustina II Junior Silver Denarius 3.36g.,17mm, Rome mint, A.D. 154-156,
    Obverse. FAVSTINA AVG-PIIAVGFIL Draped bust of Faustina right,
    Reverse. CONC-O-RDIA, Concordia seated left, holding flower & resting left arm on cornucopiae set on globe below seat.
    (RCV 4704; RIC 502a)
    1-normal_FII_TOGETHER.jpg

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Nice portrait and interesting hairstyle.

My only Faustina II to date was this rather well-worn denarius.

'Twas what I refer to as a "cheerful cheapo" - an inexpensive but fun coin.

[​IMG]

Edit- no, come to think of it, I am pretty sure I previously owned a much nicer gVF to EF example that I plucked from a $20 pick bin at the FUN show in the early 2000s, but that was before I "officially" collected ancients, and I have no pictures of it now.

That was a fun pick bin. I got five pieces, as I recall. Two were lower grade Republican denarii and three were pretty sharp and higher grade Antonine-era pieces. I had to have @Aethelred ID them for me, as he was my first mentor when it came to ancient coins.

5. shanxi

shanxi Well-Known Member

nice coins, here are some of mine

Faustina_II_15_0.jpg
    Faustina Minor
    AR-Denarius
    Augusta AD 146 - winter 175/176
    Obv.: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, draped bust right, waved hair knotted behind
    Rev.: VENVS GENETRIX, Venus standing left, holding Victory and leaning on figured shield with Dioscuri, helmet below shield
    Ag, 3.39g. 18.8mm
    Ref.: RIC III 734, RSC 280a

Faustina_II_R677_fac.jpg
    Faustina Minor
    AR-Denar, Rome
    Obv.: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, draped bust right
    Rev.: IVNONI REGINAE, IVNONI REGINAE, Juno seated left on throne, holding patera and sceptre; to left, peacock standing left.
    Ag, 3.34 g, 18mm
    Ref.: RIC III 697

Faustina_II_64_1.jpg

Faustina Minor
    AR-Denar, Rome, AD 147-150
    Obv.: FAVSTINAE AVG PII AVG FIL, Draped bust of Faustina II to right with band of pearls, her hair bound with pearls
    Rev.: VENVS, Venus standing left, holding apple in her right hand and rudder set on dolphin, which coils around it
    Ag, 3.52g
    Ref.: RIC 517a

Faustina_II_5.jpg

Faustina Minor
    AR-Denar, Rome, AD 147-148
    Obv.: FAVSTINAE AVG. PII AVG. FIL. Draped bust right, the hair coiled in the back of the head in a chignon and decorated with string of pearls.
    Rev.: LAETITIAE PVBLICAE, Laetitia, draped and diademed, standing left, holding long scepter in her left hand, wreath in her outstretched right hand.
    Ag, 2.81g, 18mm
    Ref.: Kamp. 38.9, RIC 506b

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My favorite Faustina II is this Alexandrian tetradrachm as first daughter (year 12 of Pius).
    pa0300fd2085.jpg

7. Parthicus Maximus

Parthicus Maximus Well-Known Member

A very nice portrait. I don't have a Faustina II, not even an empress. I prefer men more.:shame:Maybe that should change.:rolleyes:

8. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Lovely portrait of the young empress, indeed, @Marsman !

I have too many coins of Faustina II, so I'll post the dupondius version of Marsman's denarius:

Faustina Jr VENVS and rudder dupondius.jpg
    Faustina II, AD 147-175/6.
    Roman orichalcum dupondius, 14.77 g, 26.5 mm, 12 h.
    Rome, AD 147-150.
    Obv: FAVSTINAE AVG PII AVG FIL, draped bust right with strand of pearls.
    Rev: VENVS S C, Venus standing left, holding apple and rudder, around the shaft of which a dolphin is entwined.
    Refs: RIC 1409b; BMCRE 2160-63; Cohen 269; RCV 4736.

9. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Beautiful example, @Marsman!!!

Here's my similar contribution:
    [​IMG]
    Faustina II, Wife of Marcus Aurelius who ruled
    AR Denarius, Struck under Antioninus Pius 145-161 AD, Rome mint
    Obverse
    : FAVSTINAE AVG PII AVG FIL, Bust of Faustina the Younger, band of pearls round head, with hair waived and coiled on back of head, draped, right.
    Reverse: VENVS, Venus, draped, standing left, holding apple in right hand and rudder set on dolphin, which coils round it, in left.
    References: RIC III 517c
    [​IMG]
    (it was hard to photograph!)

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

A very humble and circulated coin... makes her look soft and matronly. :)

RI Faustina Jr 161-175 CE Ar Denarius m Marcus Aurelius 17.1mm 3g.jpg
    RI Faustina Jr 161-175 CE Ar Denarius m Marcus Aurelius 17.1mm 3g
    Ex: @Brian Bucklan ... the FUN crazy guy. :D

12. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Some really nice portraits on this thread. Faustina II is one of my favorites - abundant and affordable. Finding a stylistically pleasant portrait can be a bit of a challenge. Here is one of my favorites, worn, but nice artwork, I think:

Faustina II - Laetitia den Apr 2018 (0).jpg

Faustina II Denarius
    (147-175 A.D.) - Rome Mint

FAVSTINAE AVG PII AVG FIL, draped bust right with double circlet of pearls /
    LAETITIAE PVBLICAE, Laetitia standing left, holding wreath and sceptre.
    RIC 506b; RSC 155a.
    (2.95 grams / 18 mm)

13. Marsman

Marsman Well-Known Member

Don’t worry. It has found a good home :happy:

Beautiful coins from everyone, thanks !

Justin Lee and Roman Collector like this.
  14. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I recently bought an example of what I believe is the same coin type that @Marsman posted to open this thread last fall: a denarius of a young Faustina II issued under her father Antoninus Pius. It's my first Faustina II coin other than a Diva Faustina II issued after her death, so I wanted one in which she looks young and lively. Not necessarily so easy to find! I particularly liked the portrait on this example -- even though it's quite different from the one on @Marsman's -- and it was a bargain (given that it's short of Very Fine condition), so I decided to buy it despite the relatively poor reverse.

Faustina II [Junior] (wife of Marcus Aurelius & daughter of Antoninus Pius), AR Denarius, Rome mint, 147-149 AD (under Antoninus Pius). Obv. Draped bust right, single circlet of pearls around head, FAVSTINAE AVG PII AVG FIL / Venus standing left, holding apple in right hand and, in left hand, rudder set on dolphin, VENVS. RIC III [Antoninus] 517c, RSC II 266a, BMCRE [Antoninus] 1067. 18 mm., 3.45 g.

Faustina II - young (under Antoninus Pius) - jpg version.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted