The Year of Five Emperors - Help Needed

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Nemo, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

I recently completed this set from the year of five emperors.

I was perfectly content until learning that this issue of Septimius was not commemorating the victory over Clodius (as I had believed) but rather the games that were held before departing on his second Parthian campaign.

I am now looking for a denarius of Septimius that will better fit this set. Any suggestions?
    Five Emperors.jpg

Gao, Magnus Maximus, stevex6 and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

That's a stunning set! I cannot help with your question but suspect @dougsmit or @maridvnvm can.

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Declaring a victory against a specific foe when that foe was a Roman who had recently been your Caesar would be tacky at best. After all it was Romans he was killing. I'd suggest any later period Emesa mint Victory type after the obverse legends had settled onto COS II. You probably don't want the last ones with dated reverses (too late?). These might work.
    [​IMG]

stevex6, Pishpash, Gil-galad and 4 others like this.
  5. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I couldn't say it any better!!!

6. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind comments.

Doug, those are some nice pieces to choose from. I have no idea how rare / common these types might be.

According to Curtis Clay, Albinus broke with Severus c. Nov. 195, but was defeated and killed by Severus near Lugdunum, not on 19 Feb. 197 as traditionally stated, but a year earlier on 19 Feb. 196, after a revolt lasting only about three months.

A victory issue dating to early 196 would certainly fit the bill. Do the types you show fall into that time period?

Magnus Maximus likes this.
  7. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Wow, what a great set. Congrats on putting that together.

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I would place them in later 195. If you want something after the defeat of Albinus after the closure of the Emesa mint, you might want a Laodicea coin since that mint stayed open later through the Parthian campaign. Many of those would be during the Parthian period so picking one would be hard for me. Perhaps an IMP II type?

9. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

They should change the name from the year of the five emperors to the year of the best beards.

Awesome set!

Jwt708, Mikey Zee and TIF like this.
  10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Another approach would be to replace the later Septimius and Albinus with 193 types. Avoid dating devices like COS II on either side of the coin. For Septimius there are many with TRP COS but no numerals on the reverse.
    rs0060bb0237.jpg rs4060bb0526.jpg

Jwt708, Ancientnoob, stevex6 and 7 others like this.
  11. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

oh wow, what a cool group. that double stuck one is very interesting.

five bearded dudes ....i think we could have a much more entertaining series with with these guys than our current 5 bearded dudes show.

[​IMG]

12. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Yes, I considered that but I want to stick with Albinus as Augustus. I will look through the IMP II types, I appreciate the help.

13. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Thanks, these were a lot of fun to put together.

I also like the double struck Niger, it illustrates the high level of quality control at the mint. He was obviously issuing a massive amount of coinage to pay troops and buy loyalty.

The scarcity of his coinage belies the fact that it was struck on a monumental scale and in staggering variety. We can only assume that after his defeat at the hands of Septimius Severus in AD 194 his coins were meticulously recalled and melted down.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  14. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Thanks Whiz. The beards are out of control.

My favorite beard by far is Albinus. When allied with Septimius Severus, Clodius Albinus’ portraits show him with hair combed forward to cover a receding hairline matched with a short scruffy beard.

When Septimius Severus named his son Caracalla Caesar, Albinus understood this as the end of their alliance and the beginning of a fight for his life. Ablinus took the title of Augustus (Imperator Caesar Decimus Clodius Septimius Albinus Augustus), and his portrait quickly converts to a full head of hair and voluminous beard worthy of an Emperor!

Mikey Zee likes this.
  15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I didn't even know that was a set!!

Wow ... that's so fricken cool, Nemo (I now have another want-list-direction to follow!!)

cheers.gif

16. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Oh No!
    Oh No 2.jpeg

stevex6 likes this.
  17. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Why do you judge me so harshly, my friend?

... you're a bit high and mighty, eh?

Here is the link to the answer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_of_the_Five_Emperors

... I only have one of them

=> yup, good ol Sep-Sev!!

septa.jpg septb.jpg

=> at times, you kinda suck as a coin-friend, my friend ...

:bear:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  18. Bing

Really?

19. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ooops, no sorry ... I was merely teasing with you, my ol' friend

Gawd, I thought that you knew me better than that, JW McFricken Harper!!

:woot:

Bing likes this.
  20. Bing

I think I do. But I remember a time long ago, when you thought I said I was buying something you had your eye on, when in fact I wasn't. Anyway, I know I can be misunderstood in my "not so funny" remarks. Just makin' sure. I know you people up in the frozen north sometimes need thawing out.

stevex6 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted