The Worst Flans of the Ancient World

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by hotwheelsearl, Aug 4, 2020.

1. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Almost never a collar. That is a modern invention. Flans typically were cast round, then struck on round dies. This enabled to have very good coins when done properly.

+VGO.DVCKS and hotwheelsearl like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Justin II. Not only is the flan poor but the celator has engraved some grey aliens. What did he know that we don't today?

justin1.jpg

justin2.jpg

4. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

This is a sort of awkward hexagon shape on a Constans II follis
    Constans II Sear 1105.JPG

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I have posted before, but Byzantine coins always remind me of the movie Crazy People. In it, there was a man in the asylum obsessed with Saab 900's. When they made the advertising firm a ton of money, everyone got cars. Lots of fancy drop tops, corvettes, etc. He was despondent until a crappy, rusty Saab 900 showed up. He eagerly climbed in, and tried to start it. Uggg ugg ugg, Ugg ugg ugg. Someone pulled up and asked if there was a problem. He said, "They aren't SUPPOSED to start all of the time!".

Byzantine coins are similar. They are not SUPPOSED to be round, well struck, recognizable, etc ALL of the time! Truly a series where you need to do your reading, understand what they were trying to accomplish, read about the struggles they were going through at the time, and love them for their history anyway! :)

6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Good point @medoraman - I do know that Justin II had a mental collapse (probably schizophrenia or something) in response to all of the challenges he was facing to the point where he became incapable of performing his duties as head of state. He could not reconcile the Monophysite crisis and deter the Persian threat. There was also an economic crisis following Justinian's heavy level of expenditures. So ragged flans, not much of a problem in the overall scheme of things.

7. hotwheelsearl

I guess I am thinking of these coins too much in a modern lens - where any planchet that isn't 100% perfect becomes a potentially-valuable error and is truly a rare occurrence.

Back then, I doubt people would have really cared too much about the actual shape of their coin, and were more concerned about how much bread they could buy with this particular chunk of metal.

8. hotwheelsearl

So far I think this one is the most uncharacteristically bad flan; most Hadrianic coins are rather round and with good edges.

The other coins posted are mostly from eras where "perfect" coins were rather the exception than the rule; one can't expect a Byzantine coin to be round while one would certainly expect a Hadrian to be.

Pellinore likes this.
  9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

For some reason, flan splits that produced these ragged edges were actually not that uncommon during certain periods in Hadrian's and A-Pi's reigns. It's true they're much better for the most part, though.

Antoninus Pius - Denarius Minerva.jpg

Here's a Hadrian with an imperfect edge showing where the blank was inexpertly broken off its casting sprue.

Hadrian - Tellus Stabil 2.jpg

10. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

sbcv1933a.jpg

This should be round, instead it is an interesting oval ., Reminds me of the flat coins you get at a coin fair , when you get the squashed penny.

11. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

I think you win so far!

Valentinian and Edessa like this.
  12. hotwheelsearl

Almost looks like Russian wire money

TIF and Edessa like this.
  13. Edessa

Edessa Well-Known Member

And sometimes the flan is fine, but the strike still leaves something to be desired... RomImp_TetricusBrockage.jpg

14. hotwheelsearl

Zoinkies!

15. hotwheelsearl

This one (from @tenbobbit) is really rather quite excellent for a Claudius, but I love the little tumor on the side.
    IMG_E6417.JPG

16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Among my Byzantines, most notable for this thread is this Heraclius. The shape is not so bad but those points are as sharp as a chain saw. I bought it by mail and it arrived having cut its way out of the flip and had one corner sticking out of the envelope.
    rz0362fd2423.jpg

I agree with the above mention of some Antoninus Pius denarii being regularly ragged. This is from his first year.
    rc2060bb1118.jpg

Another raggedy period occurred at Rome in the middle of Septimius Severus' reign.
    rj4230bb1239.jpg

My ratty Tetricus is a bit unusual since the coin appears to be an official mint product rather than a barbarous radiate.
    rr2020cc1835.jpg

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  17. hotwheelsearl

And here's an official Tetricus on a horrendous flan. Too bad, since it's otherwise in superb shape!

Although like many others have said, these abnormal flan types are rather endearing, and I have grown to like these for what they are.
    IMG_E6419.JPG

18. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I think this is probably my wackiest flan:

Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 9.27.40 PM.jpg
    Theodosius III of Adramytium (715-717), follis, Syracuse

Picking up on some of the themes from up-thread:

Overstrike on a cut flan:
    Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 9.26.45 PM.jpg
    Rashidun Caliphate c. 640s-650s, Album 3508X

A box cutter (ouch, sharp!):
    Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 9.24.59 PM.jpg
    Justinian I decanummium, Antioch

Stacked flans:
    Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 9.15.28 PM.jpg
    This is only a double. @TIF, I didn't know you had a triple... wow!!

^^This coin is hysterical, I love it! :hilarious: Here's one of my Gallienus Kevin specials:
    Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 9.15.09 PM.jpg

I suppose this coin doesn't really count... :shy:
    Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 9.24.06 PM.jpg

19. hotwheelsearl

Dang, you’ve got some true stunners there!

Severus Alexander likes this.
  20. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Not exactly round:

[​IMG]
    Tiberius II Constantine AD 574-582 and Anastasia.
    Byzantine Æ half-follis, 5.02 g, 20.4 mm, 7 h.
    Thessalonica, AD 579.
    Obv: dmTibCONS TANTPPAV, Nimbate Tiberius and Anastasia seated facing on double throne; he holds globus cruciger, she a scepter.
    Rev: Large K; above, cross; to left, A/N/N/O; to right, regnal indicator V (=5); beneath, TЄS.
    Refs: Berk 398; DOC 23; SB 439; MIBE 65.

21. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

An oriental Monday morning production (Khwarezmshah from Balkh):
    Album1719BalkhW.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted