Featured The wooden cult image of Dionysos

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Pavlos, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

A new addition to my Greek island collection: A bronze coin from Mytilene on Lesbos island. However, this is not just a coin, but an interesting one.

upload_2021-8-2_23-7-19.png
    Lesbos, Mytilene. 3rd-2nd centuries BC. AE Tetrachalkon.
    Obverse:
    Head of Zeus-Ammon to right.
    Reverse: M-Y/T-I Terminal figure of Dionysos facing on prow; grapes to left.
    Reference: BMC 134. HGC 6, 1048.
    7.8g; 18mm
    Very rare.

On the reverse we see a cult figure of Dionysos, but this is actually a mask of Dionysos mounted on a crude triangular block representing his 'body'.
    What is this mask? Pausanias relates a story of Methymnaean fishermen dragging up in their nets a xoanon (Archaic wooden cult image) of olive wood which was pronounced by the Delphic oracle to be Dionysos Κεφαλλήν (head). The people of Methymna started to offer sacrifices to it and sent a bronze copy to Delphi. This led to a cult on the island and Dionysos was worshipped as an important deity on the island. The cult figure is standing on a prow because obviously the xoanon has been found by a ship.

This cult figure is also seen on the amazing and very rare tetradrachms from the Island struck in the Hellenistic period (unfortunately not mine):
    [​IMG]

I am very glad having this bronze coins, not only is this issue very rare from Mytilene, it is also one of the best, if not the best example out there. The head of Zeus Ammon has been engraved by a real artist.

Please share your coins of Mytilene, Dionysos and cult figures!

I also just noticed I got 1000 messages, quite the achievement!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Beautiful! It's not common to find examples of cult statues on coins.

This is one of mine, featuring a cult statue of Fortuna in a long-lost temple in Marcianopolis.
    Macrinus AE27 Marcianopolis Varbanov 1218.JPG

4. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Very cool coin and story! Agreed on that wonderful portrait being exceptional:artist:Thanks for sharing.
    One of my latest bronzes is a win from AMCC3 featuring pretty boy Dionysos.
    2024405_1624959628.l.jpg
    PONTOS, Amisos: Mithridates VI Eupator (105-65 BCE). 7.51g, 20mm.
    Obv: Wreathed head of Dionysos r.
    Rev: Panther skin and thyrsos on cista mystica; monograms flanking. HGC 243
    From the JB (Edmonton) collection, acquired from Calgary Coin in 2003.
    Purchased from AMCC3 July 2021

5. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Attalea Lydia RPC IV 2812.JPG

For the longest time I thought this was Dionysos. Turns out its just the Senate, but they look pretty close.

6. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

That is a wonderful coin and a very cool reverse type. Great thread @Pavlos ! I was not aware that any of these archaic wooden cult statues were shown on a coin.

Unfortunately I don’t have a Greek cult statue. The closest thing I have to relevant is this denarius showing the cult statue of the deified Faustina in her temple.
    0BECDDDF-AEA5-42FC-BE10-31380A595831.jpeg
    Roman Empire
    Diva Faustina (died AD 141)
    AR Denarius, Rome mint, struck after AD 141
    Dia.: 18 mm
    Wt.: 3.25 g
    Obv.: DIVA FAVSTINA; Draped bust right
    Rev.: AED DIV FAVSTINAE; Hexastyle temple, cult statue of Faustina inside
    Ref.: RIC 343
    Ex J.B. Collection (Edmonton) with tag (purchased spring 2002), Ex AMCC 2, Lot 153 (Nov. 9, 2019)

Also congrats on the 1000th post!

7. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Here's a cult statue of Diana, twice. The original coin features Artemis Anaitis cult statue on the reverse, and then countermarked on the obverse with the same thing. This is a fairly common countermark.

This version of this Persian Artemis - is described in a detailed Wikipedia article on Anahita.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anahita

@curtislclay starts an interesting discussion on her worship at Philadelphia (not the one in Pennsylvania) on FORVM here:
    https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=70419.0

CM - Lydia Hypaepa J. Domna Diana Jul 2018  (0).jpg
    Julia Domna Æ 21
    (c. 193-217 A.D.)
    Lydia, Hypaepa

IOYLIA CEBACTH, draped bust right / YPAIPHNWN, cult statue of Artemis Anaitis wearing polos and veil.
    BMC 35-36; SNG Cop 196.
    Countermark: Artemis Anaitis in oval. Howgego GIC 233
    (6.65 grams / 21 mm)
    eBay July 2018

8. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

@Pavlos....Interesting write up thanks and great looking coin!

Pontos, Amisos. temp. Mithradates VI, c. 105-85 or 85-65 BC. Æ (16mm, 3.98g, 12h). Struck under Mithradates VI.
    Obverse..Ivy wreathed head of Dionysos right.
    Reverse..Filleted thyrsos, bell attached with fillet, AMI-ΣOY flanking across field, monogram lower right.
    Mint..Amisos (Samsun, Turkey)
    SNG Black Sea 1192-5; HGC 7, 251. Good VF
    4HaLPsP5iL2kC3jTyRj9s8Gp7r5FD6.jpg

9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

XOANON

[​IMG]
    Campania, Capua
    AE Semuncia circa 216-211,
    Æ 18.4mm., 4.58g.
    Obv: Bust of Juno r., holding sceptre on shoulder.
    Rev: KAPV (in Oscan) Two XOANON draped.
    Ref: SNG ANS 215.
    Ref: Historia Numorum Italy 495.
    Comment: Slighlty double struck obv.
    Ex: From the E.E. Clain-Stefanelli collection.

Unusual Diety: Xoanon... from the verb ξέειν, xeein, to carve or scrape [wood] was an Archaic wooden cult image from Ancient Greece. Many such cult images were preserved into historical times, though none have survived to the modern day. This is except where their image was copied in stone or marble, or in the above case this Semuncia from Capua.

History: The Capua coins from the 2nd Punic War are fairly scarce. Capua was the leading city in Campania, subject to Rome. During the 2nd Punic War Hannibal occupied Capua for several years. He promised their aristocracy that should he win the war with Rome, he would make CAPUA the Capital of Italia and raze Rome. However, Rome WON. Subsequently, Rome recalled as much of the Capuan currency they could find and melted it down so that there were no trace of Hannibal or Capua's status.

10. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

@Pavlos, Your coin is surely one of the nicest examples out there. Here are similar Greek and provincial ones from Mytilene.

mytilene2.jpg
    Lesbos, Mytilene. AE19. Zeus Ammon / herm of Dionysos.
    Obv: Bearded and horned head of Zeus Ammon r.
    Rev: M-Y/T-I, herm of bearded Dionysos in himation standing facing on prow of ship; grape bunch to left, apluster to r.
    ca 2nd-1st century BC.

mytilene2z.jpg

Mytilene, Lesbos. AE20, ca AD 250-268, time of Valerian to Gallienus. 2.4gm. Head of Zeus Ammon right with horn of Ammon / MUTILH-NAIWN, bearded herm of Dionysos facing, on prow, bunch of grapes at lower left. BMC 184

And my favorite wooden statue, or xoanon, of Pallas Athena, the Palladium.
    demosAthena.jpg
    Achaea. Cyclades, Melos. Demos / Palladium AE24
    Obv: DHMOC / Bearded bust of Demos r.
    Rev: ΜΗΛΙΩΝ / Statue of Pallas Athena(Palladium) standing facing head r., holding spear aloft in right hand, preparing to strike, circular shield on left arm.
    24mm., 12.2g.
    Time of Nerva.
    RPC Volume: III №: 404A

11. eparch

eparch Well-Known Member

@Pavlos - all very interesting !

One of mine :

upload_2021-8-3_18-58-53.png
    IONIA. Magnesia ad Maeandrum. Ae (Circa 200-0 BC). Eukles and Aischrionos, magistrates.

Obv: MAΓNHTΩN. Radiate Head Helios right; bow and quiver over shoulder.
    Rev: EYKΛHΣ AIΣXPINOΣ. Facing cult statue of Artemis Leukophryene, with two supports.

BMC 48; SNG Copenhagen 854; SNG Tübingen 2959. Sear 4495

12. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Thank you! I really like that the cult figure includes the temple with it, nice coin.

Thanks Ryro! That coin was a steal and great it is in your collection, nice and clear coin.

Thank you Curt for your nice words! I was not aware of it as well on the first place. Normally you think of beautiful statues of cult figures. This is just a mask of olive wood :D. Apparently important enough to have it featured on their bronze and silver coins.
    Lovely denarius, also here I really like that it shows a temple as well, seems to be more common on Roman coins than Greek coins.

Interesting coin, the cult statue of Artemis seems to dominate Asia Minor, I have come across a lot of cult statues of Artemis on Roman provincial coinage of Ephesos.

Thank you @Spaniard, and a great looking coin you got there. How is your Greek coin collection going of all the different gods?

Very interesting reverse, thank you for sharing.

Thank you @ancientone! Glad to see some more coins of Mytilene and the Greek islands. Your top coin is the same type as mine, a nice example and it seems it was continued to be struck in the Roman times.

Wonderful and clear coin! I really like the head of Helios as well, I am quite fond of his radiate crown.

Curtisimo, PeteB, Spaniard and 6 others like this.
  13. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

.....Thanks for asking...Still stuck on nine! I require Vulcan, Demeter and Ares...Keep getting outbid :mad: but I'm still chasing and they will eventually arrive..:D

14. Antonius Britannia

Antonius Britannia Well-Known Member

Hadrian Cistophoric Tetradrachm Ephesus, AD 138. HADRIANVS AVG COS III P P, bare head of Hadrian right / DIANA EPHESIA, cult statue of Diana Ephesia facing, arms outstretched, pendilia on each arm, two stags adduced to either side. RIC II 474. Metcalf 27.

NGC XF 3/5 3/5 Overstruck, Scratches

lf (2).jpg
    lf.jpg

15. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Artemis appears to be a popular favorite.

[​IMG]
    Phrygia, Apameia, ca. 88-40 BC.
    Greek Æ 21.1 mm, 8.54 g, 12 h.
    Magistrate Attalos, son of Bianoros.
    Obv: Laureate head of Zeus right.
    Rev: AΠAM / ATTA / BIAN, Cult statue of Artemis Anaïtis facing.
    Refs: BMC 25.80, 61; SNG Cop 172; SNG München 122; HGC 7, 672.
    Notes: Ex Roma E-Sale 27, lot 1088, 28 May, 2016.

Draft saved Draft deleted