The women of the Roman Empire

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Justin Lee, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Here's the last pagan empress and last appearance of Venus on a Roman coin:

Galeria Valeria VENERI VICTRICI follis Nicomedia.jpg
    Galeria Valeria, daughter of Diocletian, wife of Galerius, Augusta, 293(?)-311 CE
    Roman Æ Follis; 26 mm, 6.64 gm
    Nicomedia mint, 308-310 CE
    Obv: GAL VAL-ERIA AVG, diademed and draped bust right
    Rev: VENERI VI-CTRICI CMH, Venus standing facing, head left, holding apple and drapery; in exergue, SMNA
    Refs: RIC VI 57; Sear 14595

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I have a Faustina jr. I'd like to add.
    I could use a little help. My coin looks like RIC 695, but also 696. 20170113_171405-1.jpg 20170113_171424-1.jpg

4. Nathan401

Can you have an obverse and reverse from different RIC numbers? Maybe someone can help me with the attribution. I'm very uncertain of what I'm doing.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Yours is RIC 696 as I see it.

695 has a diadem on the portrait where yours has pearls.
    https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=287238
    [​IMG]
    BMCRE separates coins with one and two strands of pearls. Where you draw the line at separating minor variations is not something in general agreement. Your image is a little blurry but there might be a second strand half hidden in the hair that would show better on a perfect coin.

6. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

[​IMG]

Faustina Jr., Issue by Marcus Aurelius, 161 - 164 AD
    Silver Denarius, Rome Mint, 18mm, 3.17 grams
    Obverse: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, Draped bust of Faustina right.
    Reverse: IVNO REGINAE, Juno standing left holding patera and scepter, peacock at feet to left.
    RIC696

Is this a match????

7. Nathan401

I think so!! Thanks Doug and MikeyZee!

Mikey Zee likes this.
  8. Roman Collector

Here's the one with two strands of pearls. There's nothing subtle about it.

Faustina Jr IVNONI REGINAE Denarius.jpg

Mikey Zee, Bing, Ajax and 4 others like this.
  9. Nathan401

Yessir, after further inspection my coin has a single strand.

Mikey Zee and Roman Collector like this.
  10. Roman Collector

Now I have an earworm:

Mikey Zee and Alegandron like this.
  11. Dana Wilson

Dana Wilson New Member

ok. I am very new here. But looking around here it seems like a good place to get info on some coins. In November cleaning out my deceased mothers house I came across a container of coins. For the most part I can figure out what they are. But I came across a coin that I found in my grand mothers front yard when I was a kid. I have figured out that this coins is Faustina Ancient Roman Coin. But I cannot find the same back as the one I have. too me its not a baby she is holding. I am really enjoying reading her history. And thank you for any info.
    image2-2.JPG image1-2.JPG

Mikey Zee likes this.
  12. Roman Collector

That is HILARITAS, and she's holding a palm frond and a cornucopiae. It is, indeed, a coin of Faustina Junior, the wife of Marcus Aurelius and the daughter of Antoninus Pius.

13. Dana Wilson

Dana Wilson New Member

thank you for that information.

Justin Lee and Roman Collector like this.
  14. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Welcome @Dana Wilson! Nice coin!

@Roman Collector is right on there!

Here is more information about the specific coin from WildWinds: http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sear5/s5275.html#RIC_1642

And here from Coin Project: http://coinproject.com/coin_detail.php?coin=273055

Alegandron and Dana Wilson like this.
  15. Dana Wilson

Dana Wilson New Member

wow! thank you so much. this is great information.

Justin Lee likes this.
  16. Dana Wilson

Dana Wilson New Member

it looks like its worth a little. and its the only roman coin I have but I have several others that are late 1800's. Is there a way to sell them? Ebay isn't something I trust. Is the cngcoins sight a good place to sell?

Justin Lee likes this.
  17. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

The reverse figure, Hilaritas, in roman culture was the embodiment or personification of cheerfulness, rejoicing, and good humor, usually represented holding the palm and cornucopiae. "The Romans considered good humor to be both a private virtue and a public one, as people were expected not only to strive for pleasant spirit within themselves, but were encouraged to inspire others with their own good humor, as well." [Lighter as We Go: Virtues, Character Strengths, and Aging]
    Since you are a member here in this forum, there is a special forum that you can post what you are interested in selling.
    https://www.cointalk.com/forums/for-sale/

There are some simple rules for posting in that forum (with the intent of CoinTalk NOT becoming all about selling and buying of coins):
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/hey-read-this-before-posting-here-for-sale-forum-rules.190428/

Mikey Zee and Alegandron like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted