The War on Cash

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by doug5353, Apr 24, 2015.

1. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

I heard about this on the John B. Wells radio show. Boycott Chase. Also banks are starting to put a cap on how much you can withdraw. Let's say you withdraw 5000 or more dollars, they are supposed to report you. You know just in case you're a terrorist. It's getting so out of hand. Bleh.

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

What was that line from one of the mass-market magazine ads? "These valuable collectable coins are GUARANTEED to retain their FULL FACE VALUE!"

Seems to me that every piece of paper money ever issued is collectable, considering that its series/serial number combination is absolutely unique. "I'm working to collect the entire set!"

coinman1234 likes this.
  5. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

The "report" is called the SAR, or Suspicious Activity Report.

In our land of the free and home of the brave, you now have to prove that you are innocent.

6. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

Those reports have existed for a long time, and my SDB agreement has always prohibited cash. This is much ado about nothing.

green18 likes this.
  7. augie b

augie b Member

could not disagree more

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yes most SDB contracts have a clause in them about not storing cash in your box. But how are they going to enforce it? You don't have to tell them what you are putting in your box, and most banks will not allow their employees to ask you what you have in it. And they don't hang around to look in your box when you open it.

I have to woder though about the "report" due to the date on the notification letter

9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I thought the cap was $9,9999.99 before they had to file a report. Has this changed recently?

Paul M. likes this.
  10. john59

john59 Well-Known Member

Do that twice in a row and all Hell falls on you from the Government. Never mind have to file a report
    Do that twice and all Hell will come down on you from the Government. The same is with 5k
    But do the same with a Bank transfer , CC check no problem the Government know were it came from and went to
    The home of the free

tommyc03 likes this.
  11. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

While this has been my experience as well, I understand during the Great Depression that bank managers did check SDBs for gold and any found over the allowable limit was confiscated. I could see a situation, although I think unlikely, where the next time you want to get into your box it's with a bank manager looking over your shoulder.

12. john59

john59 Well-Known Member

They did it once they can do it again

tommyc03 likes this.
  13. Copper56

Copper56 Active Member

And, if you ask the teller anything about the limits or the procedure to avoid the report, they are bound to report this also. It would pay you to make very good friends with your favorite teller.

tommyc03 likes this.
  14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

So if I go to my Banco and withdraw $5000 in cash the goobers are gonna scrutinize me? Man-o-man the paranoia perceived..........

tommyc03 likes this.
  15. john59

john59 Well-Known Member

Do it a few times and see what happens

16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Ain't gots that kind of money........

rooman9 likes this.
  17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

That is the point at which they HAVE to report. The are also encouraged to report lesser amounts especially if the transactions seem related or are withib a close time period. No guideline though as to what constitutes a related transaction, so to be safe they often report lesser amounts. (Less the government decides they should have and fines the bank.)

As far as I know there has never been a confirmed report of gold or other valuable being takesn from SDB's during the 1933 bank holiday. (Why would they, that was before the gold recall order.)

tommyc03 likes this.
  18. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Same here. Both of my banks prohibit cash in the SDB's and have for the 40 years I've been a customer. They've both also reported on cash withdraws over a certain amount (varying by bank, perhaps a state reg.?) for as long as I've been banking there. Nothing new.

19. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

Nope, they are changing it AGAIN.

20. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

They also report large deposits as well. I go through this every February when I get my profit sharing from my employer and I go to redistribute the funds to other accounts. It's to prevent money laundering, supposedly, though why I'd be laundering funds from Wells Fargo by placing it with BofA and Chase is beyond me.

21. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

This should not surprise us at all. Between new laws trying to track our gold and other PM purchase, gun laws and this, George Orwell could not have hit the mark much closer. Even J.R.R. Tolkiens LOTR series alluded to much of this as he wrote the books.

billy b likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted